Help treating sour crop (and diarrhea)....saw vet but confused

Sorry for your loss. Do you have poultry grit out for your birds to take when they need it? Scratch and peck type feeds can cause problems with chickens picking out only the parts they want, so feeding a crumble or pellet feed may be best for them. With seeds or grains, they do need grit to help digest those and the grasses they take. Sometimes chickens will have other issues that cause crop disorders. If you can send in the body, kept cold, to your state vet, they could help to diagnose why she died. Here is a list of state vets to contact:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
She passed away an hour ago is it too late to keep her body cold? And yes they have grit available at all times

Just put it in a plastic bag and either in a cooler on an ice pack or in the refrigerator. It isn’t too late. Don’t freeze it. Necropsies costs are different in each state. Call them and discuss it.

No respiratory issues last night at vet

Poor sweet girl just died :(. Only 7 months old

and I checked my other birds and 4 had crops that didn’t empty over night (one looks really big so I fear I’m losing her next ).
I'm sorry to hear that.

Having 4 more where the crop has not emptied is unusual. They hadn't eaten or drank anything before you checked this morning right?

I agree, I would switch to a pelleted feed, sometimes birds pick and choose if they have a loose grain type feed. Don't throw it out though if it's fresh and not molded, you can use it as a treat.

Can you get photos of the poop?

Do some thinking here - how long have you had the pullets, is the food fresh, could they have eaten anything moldy, anything at all changed in recent weeks? Having that many with similar issues - there's got to be a connection somewhere, if you can figure that out, it can be corrected.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Having 4 more where the crop has not emptied is unusual. They hadn't eaten or drank anything before you checked this morning right?

I agree, I would switch to a pelleted feed, sometimes birds pick and choose if they have a loose grain type feed. Don't throw it out though if it's fresh and not molded, you can use it as a treat.

Can you get photos of the poop?

Do some thinking here - how long have you had the pullets, is the food fresh, could they have eaten anything moldy, anything at all changed in recent weeks? Having that many with similar issues - there's got to be a connection somewhere, if you can figure that out, it can be corrected.
I’ve had these chickens since they were a couple days old and they are seven months old now

The only thing that changed in the last couple days was the brand of grit that we were using… They weren’t eating as much so I don’t know if that is what triggered the issue, or if it just has been building up for a little time since they’ve been on the new food since they started laying a month ago. It was only the last few days that they weren’t eating as much so I would lean towards the new brand of grit maybe (switched back to the old one)

I can’t imagine they ate anything moldy, they are in a run they don’t free range and we do food/water daily.

right now two are hanging out in the corner and I fear if I don’t do something ASAP I’m gonna lose those two today… The other two don’t seem quite as bad off. Trying to decide if I should try the miconazole cream orally

The only thing that changed in the last couple days was the brand of grit that we were using… They weren’t eating as much so I don’t know if that is what triggered the issue, or if it just has been building up for a little time since they’ve been on the new food since they started laying a month ago. It was only the last few days that they weren’t eating as much so I would lean towards the new brand of grit maybe
Can you get photos of the grit bag and contents? That's the only thing new...odd.
Photos of the birds and how they look?
Are they pooping? What's it like?

What do the crops feel like? Are they watery/gassy?
Hard to know what direction to go - I've used yeast cream on numerous occasions, I don't think it would hurt to treat even if the crops are not yeasty - worth a shot if they are in a bad way.
I would also give the coconut oil.

Can you get photos of the grit bag and contents? That's the only thing new...odd.
Photos of the birds and how they look?
Are they pooping? What's it like?

What do the crops feel like? Are they watery/gassy?
Hard to know what direction to go - I've used yeast cream on numerous occasions, I don't think it would hurt to treat even if the crops are not yeasty - worth a shot if they are in a bad way.
I would also give the coconut oil.
I have to see if he threw the bag away. Crops feel squishy and large.
saw one poop, was liquidy and red tinted. I’m thinking maybe coccidiosis but fecal vet did last night was negative (though she said it could be bc it was watery). She said to give tylan, but everyone online is saying corid. I have both, not sure which meds to give. Ugh

(This is not my normal vet…and the vet I want to see isn’t available until tomorrow night)

Back
Top Bottom