Help treating sour crop (and diarrhea)....saw vet but confused

I don’t know what she was thinking… The one that had the red tinged poop was not the one that she saw in office last night. She wanted to give SMZ but I read that was not safe to give if we wanted to eat the eggs so she switched to tylan
Sulfa Antibiotics or Toltrazuril are a couple of other commonly used treatments for Coccidiosis.

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. So she did want to treat for Coccidiosis with a Sulfa antibiotic, but you had her change it. Now this is making mores sense.

I would get some Corid and treat them for Coccidiosis. Treat the crop symptoms too.

Ah! Now we're getting somewhere. So she did want to treat for Coccidiosis with a Sulfa antibiotic, but you had her change it. Now this is making mores sense.

I would get some Corid and treat them for Coccidiosis. Treat the crop symptoms too.
Ok I got corid last night, will try today.
should I still be with holding food?

This morning crops were full and spongy. At vet with my dog now (allergic reaction to a sting) but heading home and can recheck )

just remembered the vet said she thought it might be coccidiosis because she said they don’t get loose poop from sour crop.

Ok vet called…..said he wouldn’t recommend miconazole…..but said I could try one dose. Also said no ACV (my boyfriend wanted to use that)

He wants me to start SMZ pills tonight. Said don’t give corid bc it may not be coccidia

I’m not thrilled with a 12 week egg withdrawal period but his other option was to cull the flock and start over. Ugh

Ok vet called…..said he wouldn’t recommend miconazole…..but said I could try one dose. Also said no ACV (my boyfriend wanted to use that)

He wants me to start SMZ pills tonight. Said don’t give corid bc it may not be coccidia

I’m not thrilled with a 12 week egg withdrawal period but his other option was to cull the flock and start over. Ugh
I would just do what the vet said and wouldn't even start the Miconazole.

Hmmm....folks don't cull flocks for Sour Crop.
Do they have Infectious Coryza?

I would just do what the vet said and wouldn't even start the Miconazole.

Hmmm....folks don't cull flocks for Sour Crop.
Do they have Infectious Coryza?
That’s a respiratory infection right? No signs of any respiratory issues.
I gave a dose of miconazole tonight. Deciding if we are giving the sulfamethoxazole. My boyfriend is worried about the eggs being unsafe to eat since no official egg withdrawal info that we can find.

That’s a respiratory infection right? No signs of any respiratory issues.
I gave a dose of miconazole tonight. Deciding if we are giving the sulfamethoxazole. My boyfriend is worried about the eggs being unsafe to eat since no official egg withdrawal info that we can find.
Why is the only other option to cull and start over - the Vet has had to give a diagnosis if they are suggesting give the antibiotic or cull all?

This doesn't make any sense. None of it.

Where are you getting a 12week withdrawal period from?

Why is the only other option to cull and start over - the Vet has had to give a diagnosis if they are suggesting give the antibiotic or cull all?

This doesn't make any sense. None of it.

Where are you getting a 12week withdrawal period from?
The vet hasn’t seen them (appointment is tomorrow night). I only talked on the phone and he decided meds based on that. Didn’t seem to concerned about treating the crop issue. Vet said something about an 8 or 12 week egg withdrawal but don’t know where he got that info. My boyfriend questioned the SMZ and vet said we could just cull and restart flock (not what we want to do).
I’m just frustrated. Don’t have an actual diagnosis. Bringing hen that passed in tomorrow for a necropsy (hopefully if I can keep her body cool. :(. )

The vet hasn’t seen them (appointment is tomorrow night). I only talked on the phone and he decided meds based on that. Didn’t seem to concerned about treating the crop issue. Vet said something about an 8 or 12 week egg withdrawal but don’t know where he got that info. My boyfriend questioned the SMZ and vet said we could just cull and restart flock (not what we want to do).
I’m just frustrated. Don’t have an actual diagnosis. Bringing hen that passed in tomorrow for a necropsy (hopefully if I can keep her body cool. :(. )
Let us know what they say, hopefully they can tell more with the necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom