Help trouble with Bantam Cochin colors..

kychickmom

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 29, 2008
NKY
Hi, my name is Jamie, I am hoping someone can help us. We have a pair of Splash Bantam Cochins and her first hatch has been really strange. She hatched 2 pullets and a roo but the colors are crazy. One is black and white, one is silver penciled, and the roo is almost lavender. I thought if you bred slpash to splash you would get blue, black, and splash, since thats wha you breed to get splash. The black pullett looks mottled and the silver looks penciled. We are really confused. If anyone has any info it would be great!

I am loading the pics today, sorry about that. The black one has a white chest and half of the feathers on her feet are white. The rest of her is black, we call her tux. The silver or grey one is a dark grey but has brown penciling on her wings.

How old are they? It's not uncommon for black chicks to have white in them until they molt in to their adult feathers.

Splash to splash would get all splash, since it's from having two of the blue genes each.

Black x Black = Black
Black x Blue = 50% black, 50% blue
Black x Splash = 100% blue
Blue x Blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
Blue x Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
Splash x Splash = 100% splash.

If you know how to do punnet squares this'll make sense, since blue = one blue gene one black gene, and splash = two blue genes.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Tim --

This brings up something I've been wondering about --

Is the splash trait dominant to all the other solid color genes? For instance -- if a bird is homozygous for splash but also for bufff, will it look splash or buff? Same for red -- and so on. Does splash (or blue, or black, for that matter) always cover anything else?

Back
Top Bottom