Help trouble with Bantam Cochin colors..

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kychickmom, Nov 2, 2008.

1. kychickmom

kychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    NKY
    Hi, my name is Jamie, I am hoping someone can help us. We have a pair of Splash Bantam Cochins and her first hatch has been really strange. She hatched 2 pullets and a roo but the colors are crazy. One is black and white, one is silver penciled, and the roo is almost lavender. I thought if you bred slpash to splash you would get blue, black, and splash, since thats wha you breed to get splash. The black pullett looks mottled and the silver looks penciled. We are really confused. If anyone has any info it would be great!

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Do you have pics? How old are they? They can change a lot from hatch to full grown colorwise.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Pics?

4. kychickmom

kychickmom Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    NKY
    I am loading the pics today, sorry about that. The black one has a white chest and half of the feathers on her feet are white. The rest of her is black, we call her tux. The silver or grey one is a dark grey but has brown penciling on her wings.

5. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    How old are they? It's not uncommon for black chicks to have white in them until they molt in to their adult feathers.

6. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Splash to splash would get all splash, since it's from having two of the blue genes each.

Black x Black = Black
    Black x Blue = 50% black, 50% blue
    Black x Splash = 100% blue
    Blue x Blue = 25% black, 50% blue, 25% splash
    Blue x Splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    Splash x Splash = 100% splash.

If you know how to do punnet squares this'll make sense, since blue = one blue gene one black gene, and splash = two blue genes.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:It sounds like one of your splash birds is not splash but is recessive white.

Tim

8. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Tim --

This brings up something I've been wondering about --

Is the splash trait dominant to all the other solid color genes? For instance -- if a bird is homozygous for splash but also for bufff, will it look splash or buff? Same for red -- and so on. Does splash (or blue, or black, for that matter) always cover anything else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by