Help! Trying to identify breeds from an assortment.

That's so much better! It seems such a simple thing to put a band on for ID. Frankly I didn't expect to become a "chicken lady" and I'm still learning. I decided to take the step of ordering hatchlings since I'm down to 2 hens and they're getting older. I'm in multiple at risk groups so during pandemic ordering one group seemed a better choice than going in person to breeders. I was going to purchase Marans locally but the breeder doesn't reserve and she sold them all in one morning. I'm learning and to be honest being forced to research multiple breeds has taught me so much. I figure in a few years I'll be getting littles again so these girls are teaching me about building my dream flock! Thanks again for your help!
I actually order online from breeders! I've done local, from a hatchery, from a small breeder who used to ship (not often nowadays however,) and larger breeders. I recommend Carolina Rare Chicks or Horstman Poultry due to ease in purchasing and they also ship. Horstman Poultry doesn't sell assortments to my knowledge and their breeds are very easy to tell apart. They're great for birds with show potential and I LOVE their Barred Rock Bantams. One of mine got best of show from him. Their Rhode Island Reds are nice too, the rose combed variety are great if you have cold winters. Carolina Rare Chicks is good if you want a variety of very cool looking birds in uncommon varieties. They were the ones when I bought an assortment banded them all before shipping and sent papers on what exactly they were. The problem with breeders is that most of the time, the chicks are sexed and they have high minimum orders. However, when rehoming, they're also higher quality than many cockerels so rehoming can be easier too!

I actually order online from breeders! I've done local, from a hatchery, from a small breeder who used to ship (not often nowadays however,) and larger breeders. I recommend Carolina Rare Chicks or Horstman Poultry due to ease in purchasing and they also ship. Horstman Poultry doesn't sell assortments to my knowledge and their breeds are very easy to tell apart. They're great for birds with show potential and I LOVE their Barred Rock Bantams. One of mine got best of show from him. Their Rhode Island Reds are nice too, the rose combed variety are great if you have cold winters. Carolina Rare Chicks is good if you want a variety of very cool looking birds in uncommon varieties. They were the ones when I bought an assortment banded them all before shipping and sent papers on what exactly they were. The problem with breeders is that most of the time, the chicks are sexed and they have high minimum orders. However, when rehoming, they're also higher quality than many cockerels so rehoming can be easier too!

I actually paid the additional fee for ordering sexed chicks. That's one thing they did right. I worried for a while but all 9 survivors are definitely pullets! I'll keep these hatcheries in mind for the future. I worried too about the stress of shipping. We're in Northern Bay Area and most of the hatcheries seem to be Midwest or East. Just thankful all mine are healthy and I'm finally figuring out what I have!

Back
Top Bottom