Help! Trying to save Anouk.

debblum8

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I have a 14 month old Black Astrolorp laying Hen named Anouk. She has been listless and sick for 2 days. She has no apparent injuries, but just lays in a corner, droopy tail, eyes shut most of the time, seems to have labored breathing. Had runny greenish whitish poop both days. I have given her tetracycline by drench for two days. She does not want to eat or drink, but I used a syringe to get some water and electrolytes in her. She doesn't fight at all when I pick her up, which is unusual. I separated her from the rest of the hens, in a dog kennel. She just lays there all day. If she doesn't eat soon, she clearly won't make it. I am going to try to tube feed her. Maybe grind up some pellet and mix with milk? Anyone have any suggestions? She's always been the weakest one of my hens, and I just hate to lose her.
Thanks for your help, Deborah

My first instinct would be to start treating for Cocci asap with Corid, which they sell for Bovines. I'm not sure that is what it is, but it can kill them so fast I feel like it is better to treat quickly. Are any of your other birds showing symptoms of anything? Do you think she cold be egg bound? I don't know - I'm sorry. I really hope someone can help you soon.
hugs.gif

Thanks Deerling for your reply. I left her on a heating pad last night, and she died sometime between midnight and 7am. I feel horrible, but at least she is no longer in pain. Thanks for the words of advice. The rest of the flock is fine, and I will definitely treat with Corid in the future. Good idea. Who knows what happened this time.. Wow, losing any pet is never easy. I shed a lot of tears over that little girl..

Deborah

I'm so sorry Debroah. It is so hard to lose a pet and friend. I loved her name. We have a sweet little buff orpington named Alice who has never been quite right. She's always puffed up and although she runs around and stuff I worry about her, sometimes all the others will hide under the coop and she doesn't notice and go with them. But I've been so involved with trying to figure out what's wrong and keep her healthy that she's my favorite. Anyway, I'm very sorry for your loss. It's wonderful that she had a safe, loving, warm place to spend her last hours.

You might be able to send her in for a free necroscopy to a local college (in California US Davis offers this service to backyard chicken owners) to get an answer. It might be a good idea, just in case it was something that could affect the rest of your flock.

My six year old daughter wrote this poem for our chick that died, I thought you might like it:

Babe
Cluck Cluck Cluck
at the meadow's end
Cluck Cluck Cluck
says the chick at dusk.

Winter is cool and Summer is warm
but oh, what a lovely place Spring is.

hugs.gif

Jordan

Back
Top Bottom