**HELP** Turkey chicks just hatched...problem with CATS!!

I think your hubby has the best idea. You know your birds better than anyone. I do know they are easier to handle if caught sleeping, and maybe she won't put up enough fuss to wake the chicks, so between the two of you, you'll be able to round them up!
fl.gif

I guess we will just have to figure it out. She is extremely protective right now. I tried to look at one of her babies yesterday and she almost attacked me. So..hoping we can trick her into cage with corn. Just worried all 9 babies may run around and it could be hard to get them. Oh well....we will have to figure it out. Thanks for all your tips!
Just grab a leg and get her upside down. she'll chill very quick and you can then worry bout the poults

I would leave her alone until the cats show that they are willing to take on a nasty hen turkey. They (hens) are very protective. One good peck and the cats would probably leave her alone. You might lose one this way, but then again, you might not.

Maybe you should put the cats in the dog kennel until the poults are larger.
smile.png

With my first hatched-outside brood, I did move them into a chicken tractor (hen and poults) because the tom wasn't done mating and repeatedly stepped on the very young poults. It was a bit of a pain taking care of them there.

Our cats don't bother our chicks or poults at all, Even when they are pipping in the hatcher, the cats ignore them.. Maybe we're just lucky.

My cats were interested at first but when the turkeys got bigger it only took a couple of times of the turkeys chasing and cutting at them and trying to peck them and they leave them well alone now

Back
Top Bottom