help, turkey hates my four-yr-old

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by farmgirl77, Oct 19, 2010.

1. farmgirl77

farmgirl77 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    I have a Tom, named Kramer, who is about 5 months old, has just recentlly decided that he can't stand my four-year-old. Every time Tommy (son, not turkey!) is outside the darn turkey chases him, tries to peck him, and basically terrorizes the poor thing. I would hate to keep the bird cooped up all the time, but Mama's not okay with this! Any advice?

2. thaiturkey

thaiturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thailand
    Perhaps it's to do with the similarity of names. Try changing one of them. [​IMG]

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It's almost Thanksgiving. I'd say Kramer has volunteered to be the main course.

4. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I have a three year old Grandson that plays with my turkeys. I have had one or two that have got agressive in what I call their teen years. They have all grown out of it. Maybe just lock him up until he gets a little older.

5. toto65

toto65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Holland, VT
    I have one Blue slate hen that is a real pain around my 2 year old grandson. He loves the turkeys and will walk without fear into the coop, if the adult toms get in his way he will push them out of the way and they will look at him, gobble and walk away. He has learned to ignore the hen and will tell her "Sparkle BAD! "if she comes near him.

edited for spelling

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  6. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    I have a MW Tom that goes over and chases the neighbors grandchildren but, they seem to enjoy it and my neighbors don't seem to mind. That's the only time he leaves my property.I do lock him down when I see the kids out though. I keep waiting for the kids to come over and ask if Mr. Bachman can play.

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    i have a tom who always wants to kill me. but he loves my hubby.

all kidding aside - pen up that tom. dont take a chance with your kid. a low fence will keep the tom in, no problem.

good luck!
    :)

8. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Quote:Only if he's a BB variety. A low fence won't keep a heritage breed in.

9. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:i would have him for dinner at thankgiving in the meantime he would be in jail

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The only time that my turkeys get beligerant with the kids is when they are molting....any possibility that this is what is going on with him??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by