Help: turkey with yellow crusty scabs on abdomen/ terrible NFM

luckyclucker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 6, 2008
nm
I posted this in the turkey section, but thought a more general forum might be helpful, too.

I recently rescued a 2 year old white midget male turkey. Today I was dealing with an out of control NFM situation in the coop and decided to check the turkeys, too. All 5 of my turkeys are rescues and at least several years old. 3 of them were abused and very hard to get my hands on when the dusting was going on. My Midget White, Wikkus, is a snuggler, so I was able to rub the permethrin dust all over him (they live with my chickens, so I figure everyone has some mites).

So, my questions-- what could all these yellow scabs be on his underside? I saw some mites on him, so I know he has them. These are not the Red Mites, although I wouldn't rule that out, either.
2nd question-- any ideas on how I can treat the turkeys who won't let me grab them? And how does a person effectively cover them with dusting powder?

Has anybody had a successful NFM story? I used the .25 permethrin (prozap) today, and I've cleaned and DE'd their coops. Any ideas for stuff to use to clean their coops? I didn't have any liquid pesticide or cleaner, so I just thought I'd start with the DE and prozap and then do some more cleaning over the next few days, before their second dusting. To me this infestation looks really bad (every single one of my 22 chickens had nasty vent issues). I can pretty much trace it to a HUGE nest that fell out of a tree into my chicken area. I did not know such a mite existed until this morning. I'm contemplating bathing every single one of them, they have so much gunk on them.

I am very eager to hear of ANY successful mite treatment plans. The Prozap was the only thing I could find in this desolate part of New Mexico. Tomorrow I will have an opportunity to drive to a larger town and would love any suggestions on what is best to buy. This is the first time I've ever seen this and I'm a bit freaked out.

Back
Top Bottom