Red mite infestation

Pics
Just to close off the mystery of this thread…

So the museum was able to confirm the mites in my backyard as Ornithonyssus genus, but didn’t have the skill to identify down to species. Which means my vet misidentified them from my picture and they didn’t come from the infestation that prompted this thread, which was very obviously Dermanyssus gallinae the devil himself (red mite).

So the mites in my yard are either Ornithonyssus bursa the tropical fowl mite or Ornithonyssus bacoti the tropical rat mite. Rat mites have been confirmed in my city but not bird mites, but that doesn’t mean they are not here. The only other species as far as I understand it would be Ornithonyssus sylviarum the northern fowl mite, but I have excluded that possibility as the mites are living in the environment and not on the chickens. I submitted a collection of feathers to the museum as well and they reported no evidence of mites on the feathers.

It’s been over a month since this all began and I have had no issue with mites on my chickens or chicks, in the coop, on my dog, on me or in the house. The population died off recently with hotter, drier weather although I do unearth the odd cluster of them from time to time when in the garden and they are still in my compost. So I will continue my practices of monitoring and prevention and that’s about it.

That's great to hear, that it wasn't what you originally feared. Since it sounds most likely that these are rat mites, I assume you can safely coexist with them in the environment going forward?

I guess so? I’ve learnt so much about mites throughout this process. I think I’m always going to be much more vigilant and consistent with preventative measures into the future.

The threat may still be there in some degree (rat mites will migrate and bite birds/dogs/people if they have no rats, and similarly bird mites will migrate and bite mammals) but it no longer feels like a cause of stress. Most importantly I’m not dealing with ANY red chicken mites that can reproduce on non-host-specific blood and live for up to a year without a feed. Thank god.

Here are the photos the museum sent me from their microscope if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 00531ABF-927F-4997-8A62-9086D7F537AE.jpeg
    00531ABF-927F-4997-8A62-9086D7F537AE.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DE187042-20C4-4C28-82EE-0AF0117FD518.jpeg
    DE187042-20C4-4C28-82EE-0AF0117FD518.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom