HELP!! Turkeys have swelling under eyes & mucus coming from nose

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by aurorarose25, Sep 3, 2011.

1. aurorarose25

aurorarose25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Mesa, Az
    Some of my turkeys have the pouches under the eyes are swollen, when I gently push on them it looks like liquid & bubbles come out. Some even have runny nosses. I think some of my chickens have the runny noses.
    What should I do???

2. BubAnna Angus

BubAnna Angus Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Tipton, MI
    I feel for you...... I keep checking to see if anyone has replied with a suggestion; many have looked at your post.
    Have you called the vet?
    When you find out what's going on, will you please post it.
    Sorry for your turmoil.

3. Farmerboy16

Farmerboy16 Rebuilding my Farm

Dec 30, 2010
    Sparta, MI
    Does the mucus smell very bad?

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Possibly sinusitis (CRD), from Mycoplasmosis or something else. You can do a quick search here on sinusitis, swelling, things like that and find a LOT of posts, some with pictures. There are treatment options listed.

There were possibly no replies because this has come up so many times this year alone. Seems to be a bad year for it.

I apologize that I didn't reply when I first saw this post, but I my sleep schedule is so whacked, I just don't have the energy to go into detail. These 24 hour stretches between sleep are harder as I get older... [​IMG]

5. Diamond Wire Farms

Diamond Wire Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Placerville, CA
    Agree with Frosty. Most likely Mycoplasma.

Pick up Duramycin at the feed store. And follow the instructions for treating turkeys.

6. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Denegard is what you need. It's a liquid, and you put it in their drinking water! Works GREAT!

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    How is your turkey doing?

8. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    We've had the same problem with our chickens and turkeys this year. Duramycin in the water. BUt we still have lost many birds. We also find that one of the earliest symptoms is that their eyes crust shut. it helps a lot to gently peel the eyes open so the fluid can drain. Many of our chickens immune systems kicked in and they got better. We figure the weak ones didn't make it. Everyone got Duramycin, and we are hoping to powerwash the brooder, barn, and all our coops before winter to maybe prevent it from coming again. It hasn't killed all birds with symptoms, but if both eyes get crusted shut, they will starve to death, or dehydrate to death. So we watch for that.

9. mitchell3006

mitchell3006 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Gallimycin or tylan is usually more effective now than Duramycin due to overuse. You can either treat heavily and risk sickly birds or cull heavily and let their immune system be the deciding factor. The first saves these birds. The second gives you stronger future generations. I started the first way and spent alot of money on meds. I have gone more to the second and have far fewer outbreaks of disease now.

Mark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by