HELP!! Turkeys have swelling under eyes & mucus coming from nose

aurorarose25

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Mesa, Az
Some of my turkeys have the pouches under the eyes are swollen, when I gently push on them it looks like liquid & bubbles come out. Some even have runny nosses. I think some of my chickens have the runny noses.
What should I do???

I feel for you...... I keep checking to see if anyone has replied with a suggestion; many have looked at your post.
Have you called the vet?
When you find out what's going on, will you please post it.
Sorry for your turmoil.

Possibly sinusitis (CRD), from Mycoplasmosis or something else. You can do a quick search here on sinusitis, swelling, things like that and find a LOT of posts, some with pictures. There are treatment options listed.

There were possibly no replies because this has come up so many times this year alone. Seems to be a bad year for it.

I apologize that I didn't reply when I first saw this post, but I my sleep schedule is so whacked, I just don't have the energy to go into detail. These 24 hour stretches between sleep are harder as I get older...
sad.png

We've had the same problem with our chickens and turkeys this year. Duramycin in the water. BUt we still have lost many birds. We also find that one of the earliest symptoms is that their eyes crust shut. it helps a lot to gently peel the eyes open so the fluid can drain. Many of our chickens immune systems kicked in and they got better. We figure the weak ones didn't make it. Everyone got Duramycin, and we are hoping to powerwash the brooder, barn, and all our coops before winter to maybe prevent it from coming again. It hasn't killed all birds with symptoms, but if both eyes get crusted shut, they will starve to death, or dehydrate to death. So we watch for that.

Gallimycin or tylan is usually more effective now than Duramycin due to overuse. You can either treat heavily and risk sickly birds or cull heavily and let their immune system be the deciding factor. The first saves these birds. The second gives you stronger future generations. I started the first way and spent alot of money on meds. I have gone more to the second and have far fewer outbreaks of disease now.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom