Help!! Two young chicks with splayed legs

klwalker

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 17, 2014
Hello, This is my first post on BYC. I have two chickens with splayed legs. They are both two weeks old.
There were two others hatched at the same time that died, they also had splayed legs.
I observed this in the first chicken as soon as it had hatched but I have only just noticed the other chickens legs 2 days ago.
It only seems to be getting worse. I am feeding them all a Vitamin D, Calcium, and Magnesium suppliment with their Chick starter pellets. They both get around well and are able to eat, drink and flap their wings. Is there something more I can be doing for them?? They are also on a thin layer of wood shavings in with 9 other chicks.
Ps. I did have the first chicken hobbled but only for a day... I couldn't bare seeing it unable to walk with them on. (not sure if that was the best thing to do or not)

Long post.... but I would so appreciate some advice.

Thankyou
Kacie

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your troubles! Taping their legs into position should help... Here are some instructions on you what to do:

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Best of luck with them!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your chick! I've only had one case of splayed legs before. I tried taping the legs together, and I think it worked. But, my chick didn't have a very bad case of splayed leg at the time.

The link Sumi gave you above should be helpful. Here is another helpful link on treating splayed leg:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

It may not look good to you but, if it benefits the chick to the point where their legs are normal - isn't that worth your discomfort? If the legs get worse you'd probably have to put them down. If you incubated these chicks odds are the temperatures weren't correct - that can cause structural problems. Or it's a dominant fault in your breeding stock.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about your chicks, you've gotten some good suggestions and links above.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your chicks. Definitely check out the links provided above. The chicks will not survive if you don't get the splay legs working properly. There are some good ideas in these links on how to make hobbles for the chicks so they can stand up and strengthen the legs. Also, in addition to the hobbles, put the chicks in a small shot glass or something they have to stand in. Let them stand in these for 10 mins a few times a day to help strengthen the weak legs.

Good luck with your babies and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Just curious: What kind of bedding do you have for your chicks and what thickness is the bedding?

So glad I joined BYC I learn so much. I just hatched a little guinea chick and it has a splayed leg. Now I know how to treat it. Ah the joys of hatching.

Back
Top Bottom