HELP......um......I didnt know this could or would....and deffinately SHOULDNT happen......

crazypoultrychx

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
New Orleans LA
I have a lot of birds on my property......we have 20 baby NJ Giant pullets..... 2 peacocks....3 ducks.........12 hens and 2 roos........and my latest addition....2 heitage turkeys.........we thought we had a breeding pair but turns out we have 2 toms........

so I let my adult chickens out at 1pm to free ragne that way I dont find eggs all over my yard.......and my barn yard has been deeply disturbed.......it started one afternoon and I heard screams from one of my buff orphington hens in the back yard like she was being attacked......so I go running to see wth......and there is my white heritage turkey on TOP OF MY BUFF........and they werent "fighting".....although it seems brutal enough that I felt out of hopes of keeping everyone calm I should break things up.....so I did......hopeing it was only a mild confusion.......turns out.....not so much.......

for what ever the reason is this one buff is constantly being "abused" by the turkey.......I never in a million years thought that a turkey would mate with a chicken.....esp considering he is almost 4x her size....and its just this ONE hen......(i can tell b/c I only have 2 buffs and this one is much thinner from running for her life)..........

I dont get it.......and I REALLY dont know what to do about it......I cant get turkey hens right now because no one around me has any.......and I REALLY cants stand the abuse.....it breaks my heart.....I dont want to eat him....but his name has gone from Tina to Thanksgiving......because I am at a loss.....

I get that the turkey is trying to help....but he should of at least mated with the duck and let the duck mate the chicken then I would of had a chance at a turducken for thanksgiving......

Back
Top Bottom