Help. Unabsorbed yolk sack....real time emergency now.

Annie75

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
I'm in the middle of a chicken hatching crisis due to incubator problems. Anywho one of the eggs I put under my broody hen has hatched a lovely silky. BUT the yolk sack is not absorbed completely. It's about the size of a pea. I did a quick search and someone said if they're in a dry location it will absorb quicker so I put it on a dry cloth in a small container with the outside of the container surrounded by warm water for warmth. (thinking outside the square). Problem is I noticed the yolk sack was sticking to the dry fabric and dragging a bit so I've dampened the cloth while keeping it warm still. Is this right? I really want this chick to make it. I'm staying away from it so it doesn't peep because it looks like the yolk sack pushes out a bit when it peeps. Advice please.

I'm in the middle of a chicken hatching crisis due to incubator problems. Anywho one of the eggs I put under my broody hen has hatched a lovely silky. BUT the yolk sack is not absorbed completely. It's about the size of a pea. I did a quick search and someone said if they're in a dry location it will absorb quicker so I put it on a dry cloth in a small container with the outside of the container surrounded by warm water for warmth. (thinking outside the square). Problem is I noticed the yolk sack was sticking to the dry fabric and dragging a bit so I've dampened the cloth while keeping it warm still. Is this right? I really want this chick to make it. I'm staying away from it so it doesn't peep because it looks like the yolk sack pushes out a bit when it peeps. Advice please.
keep it on a warm moist towel. I am concerned that you are going to maintain temp with a water bath.can you rig together a brooder using a desk lamp and a 60 watt incandescent light>

Thanks for your replies. I kept it on a damp cloth all day and then as it's become later in the afternoon I've put it under the adoptive mama for warmth. She's a silkie and seems to have accepted an extra. I put a little cling wrap 'bandage' so that the protruding bit doesn't drag along the ground which I'll remove in the morning so that it doesn't go manky. Hopefully it will absorb overnight while everyone is sleeping.

Chicky passed peacefully this morning, rest its lovely little soul
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom