HELP! Unexpected baby chick just hatched 5 minutes ago!

ChurkLover

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 9, 2010
St. Louis
Help! I have never had chicks. One of my hens had gone broody and we let her lay on her eggs, but I hadn't been counting the days, exactly. When she got 3 eggs under her, we marked them because we didn't want more than 3 new babies. Tonight, I went to pull the fresh egg out from under her and noticed one of the marked eggs from before had a small hole in it. I assumed the baby chick (if any) would not live and pulled the egg out. I was going to feed it to the other chickens but when I cracked it, there was a chick inside, it started chirping and now I don't know what to do! I just grabbed my dog crate and pulled the hen and her other 2 eggs out of the roost (30 other chickens out there). I have them in my garage and tried to put the baby "back" into the egg shall so the hen would realize it was her baby and take care of her. She pushed the other 2 eggs under her but just left the chick in front of her chirping. I put the baby chick under her breast so it could stay warm but I don't know if she will take care of it or hurt it. The first time I put the chick under her, she started walking a circle, like she was trying to get comfortable, but didn't really notice the chick. Any advice? I don't want this chick to die.

I would try to sneak it under her in the night time, when she is nice and calm.
Has she had chicks before, or is this her first time?

Hopefully, nature will kick in. Mama has been moved to an unfamiliar spot, so she may be a little freaked out for now. Did you candle the other 2 eggs?
I hope they all hatch about the same time, and she will be busy taking care of 3 little chickies!
Just keep her calm, it should work out.

I would put the chick back under her next to the other eggs and let Nature take its course. The new chicks take awhile to start moving around anyway and they spend the first day or so under the hen drying off and getting stronger. She will hang out on the nest for a few days waiting for the other eggs to hatch and then when she gets up and leaves, then she is done and any of the other eggs not hatched are either not viable or out of luck unless you have an incubator or some other way to deal with them. Good Luck to you and your little chick!

I did not candle the other eggs. Wasn't even sure what that meant until I looked it up after your post. I am afraid to take the eggs away from her and give her any more stress for now. I just want her to take care of the baby first...maybe tomorrow if the chick is doing well, I will candle the other two. Thanks for the idea.

Update....momma and chick are doing great! Thanks to everyone reassuring me momma would do the right thing, I slept much better! Here is a picture of momma with chick under her wing this morning.
62671_first_baby_chick_092811.jpg

Next question...do I wait til the other eggs hatch then separate the chicks from momma and put momma back with the other chickens or do I keep momma with chicks for a while (if so, how long)? I hate to separate her from the chicks...she has worked so hard! Also, if I put the chicks and hen back with the group, will the other chickens pick on the babies?

Back
Top Bottom