Help! Unknown peacock malaise despite de-worming and coccidiosis treatment

For it's blackhead ... in France they use to give 10 ml of flagyl .
An adult peacock will NEVER die because of worms .... but they can die in 3 day from blackhead .... now you know what is urgent !
10 ml? I think that Flagyl suspension is 200 mg per 5 ml, so that's 40 mg/ml. 10 ml x 40 mg = 400 mg, which is about what I would give to a large peacock (6 kg). Small hen would get half that.

@Dany12, Ronidazole will also treat blackhead.

-Kathy

For it's blackhead ... in France they use to give 10 ml of flagyl .
An adult peacock will NEVER die because of worms .... but they can die in 3 day from blackhead .... now you know what is urgent !

Looking it up - Flagyl contains metranidozole and what the vet gave me today contains ronidazole. Hoping it will work just as well. And yes it has been a learning process. He really didn't look too sick - just a bit off colour. But I'll know what to look out for in future!

So glad you were able to get to a vet!

I need to do some research on that wormer. If you can, ask the vet what wormers in the benzimidazole class (fenbendazole, albendazole, etc). Also ask about adding something like Baytril to your treatment since E. coli is almost always a secondary infection with blackhead.

-Kargt

Thanks Kathy - and thanks for the info on the dewormer. I'll do some research online and get some so that I have it in our ever-expanding medicine cabinet! I'll also pop into the vet on my way into the village to ask about treatment for E. coli too. She's on a learning curve with us on this but is very flexible and if we pop in with a question she doesn't charge us for a consultation, which is really nice. In fact today, when we took in both a peacock and a chicken with different problems, she charged us for only half a consultation because it didn't take long!

Since Flagyl (metronidazole) was mentioned here, I just thought I would share my recent experience where I almost killed a pigeon by giving it too much. The max dose listed is 100 mg/kg twice a day, but most vets I think will prescribe no more than 50 mg/kg twice a day. That said, I've been treating a pigeon with canker and he wasn't responding to the lower doses, so I upped it, and he started having seizures. I guess all I'm try to say is that when medicating with drugs like this that we should know what our birds weigh and we should know how much to give based on their weight.

-Kathy

That's so useful - thank you! The vet is closed for the day now and we're supposed to be away all day tomorrow. Does the treatment for the potential secondary bacterial infection have to happen at the same time or is it less time critical?

I'm thinking of adding some ACV to his water too - do you think this will help?

You've been so helpful today - thank you!

That's so useful - thank you! The vet is closed for the day now and we're supposed to be away all day tomorrow. Does the treatment for the potential secondary bacterial infection have to happen at the same time or is it less time critical?

I'm thinking of adding some ACV to his water too - do you think this will help?

You've been so helpful today - thank you!

I usually treat at for both at he same time, but a few times I got lucky and they recovered with just metronidazole, so hopefully you will too. Just be sure to contact the vet as soon as you get back.

Not sure I would give ACV.

-Kathy

Since Flagyl (metronidazole) was mentioned here, I just thought I would share my recent experience where I almost killed a pigeon by giving it too much. The max dose listed is 100 mg/kg twice a day, but most vets I think will prescribe no more than 50 mg/kg twice a day. That said, I've been treating a pigeon with canker and he wasn't responding to the lower doses, so I upped it, and he started having seizures. I guess all I'm try to say is that when medicating with drugs like this that we should know what our birds weigh and we should know how much to give based on their weight.

-Kathy

so true, had almost forgot about the time one of my birds had a bad reaction from it because of an overdose.

Quote: I usually treat at for both at he same time, but a few times I got lucky and they recovered with just metronidazole, so hopefully you will too. Just be sure to contact the vet as soon as you get back.

Not sure I would give ACV.

-Kathy
MontserratChick ---wow , so weird when I first went to copy and paste your name for this post just now I saw all your post in French...cool !
Anyway, so glad you go the bird to the vet and hope the bird recovers nicely now too.
I agree with Kathy...skip the ACV for now, best not to try too many things at once, imo.

Back
Top Bottom