Help! Unwell Hen

KBGB

In the Brooder
Feb 17, 2022
Dallas Georgia
Hi! My 9 month old head hen Betty has something going on and I am not sure what to do. I think it is heat stress but I am honestly not sure. It is almost 100 with heat index currently. She is not eating or drinking at all. She is holding her mouth open, stretching out her neck and closing her eyes. Her eyes look clear, her nose is clear. No coughing, wheezing or sneezing. We got a few drops of water in her by dropping them on her beak. I am not sure what else to do. I appreciate any help!

Hi! My 9 month old head hen Betty has something going on and I am not sure what to do. I think it is heat stress but I am honestly not sure. It is almost 100 with heat index currently. She is not eating or drinking at all. She is holding her mouth open, stretching out her neck and closing her eyes. Her eyes look clear, her nose is clear. No coughing, wheezing or sneezing. We got a few drops of water in her by dropping them on her beak. I am not sure what else to do. I appreciate any help!
If you think she's overheated, bring her into the house where it's cooler and let her get reset. If she starts to act normal give her some water with electrolytes in it and offer her a very wet mash to eat. She needs to get rehydrated.
Then put her out at the coolest time of night. What's the ventilation like in your coop? Is there full shade available in the run?

If you think she's overheated, bring her into the house where it's cooler and let her get reset. If she starts to act normal give her some water with electrolytes in it and offer her a very wet mash to eat. She needs to get rehydrated.
Then put her out at the coolest time of night. What's the ventilation like in your coop? Is there full shade available in the run?
We brought her in a few hours ago but no improvement so far. Plenty of ventilation in the coop and the run is fully shaded. We have buckets of water down and multiple waterers. But she wont take anything. We are only getting it in her by putting drops on the tip of her beak. :(

Back
Top Bottom