Help!--UPDATE--MoJo died

pepperluvsmee

Songster
12 Years
Feb 2, 2008
Glen Rock, PA
You know, I went and found local breeders so that I would ot have to be stressed out by my little peeps, but guess what?
OK!
I have one 2 1/2 week old Cuckoo Maran that is very thin, eating and drinking, but very thin. Coccidiosis? Should I force feed some more food? Even though she eats, there is nothing in her crop.
I have one 2 1/2 week old Polish that is sneezing, no wheezing, eating and drinking. Poo is fine. Alittle on the thin side.
Same with a cochin. Thinking a cold. Heis not thin at this point.
NOW. How do I go about medicating?
Please somone tell me what I need to get and what I should do. I am heading out to the store and want to get what I need so I can get these birds going in the right direction.
I feel sick to my stomach.
sad.png

Last edited:
Are you sure they are getting enough to eat. I would separate them since they are less fortunate then the others incase they have anything and give them a chance to eat. I will get some vitamin packets for chicks at your local supply store, the ones with electrolytes and put it in their water. It just might have to be a wait and see kind of thing.

Yea, they are getting plenty to eat. I have them in my den in a clear plastic tote, so I can see whats going on at all times. I watch each of them to see what thier poo look slike, if they are eating and drinking and being active.
I gave them each a drop of Poly Vi Sol this morning.
No one is hoggin the food, they all share and seem to eat all day long with the exception of a nap here and there.

You might try gettting some yogurt....plain with active cultures. Might be they are not absorbing the nutrients they need. Just take the yogurt, mix in some feed...and make a mash. Dont mix too much at a time, as it will spoil if not eaten in a few hours. The yogurt will help thier tummys adjust.
Im sure you will be able to fatten them up in no time.

Thanks Deb. I am heading out the door shortly to pick up what I need and will get some yogurt. With cultures you say? Plain I assume.
It is so frustrating when you can't really diagnose an illness until it is too late. I can't lose any of these babies. I lost ALL my birds to a weasel in November and just can't lose any of these babies.
So any and ALL suggestions will be taken to heart.
Even if it seems like common sense, please post as I am under stess here and am not really able to think clearly. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
-Theresa
PS--I have been hand feeding the cuckoo maran all morning, so now she has a nice full crop. We will see if she can digest it properly and if she just can't function.
sad.png

OK! Vet called, here is what I am doing per convo with him and also some of the ideas you all gave me.
I started everyone in the brooder on Terramycin.
I have also been hand feeding 2 of the birds with the yogurt, vit's, mash mix and they have pepped right up. There is still sneezing, but no wheezing, so I bought some Aspen shavings at the store that have very little dust.
The shavings I was using were very dusty. I also took them out, washed the brooder with antibacterial soap and then sprayed it with bleach, rinsed, let dry and put them back in it.
I am going to continue the hand feeding until they look of fair weight. And also the cleaning of the brooder until they stop sneezing.
I also gave everyone a drop of multi vits by hand this morning.
Luckily it is very warm here today, so hopefully that will help.
I will keep ya updated.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
-Theresa
PS--Also rubbed a little teeny bit of vapor rub under the nostrils of the worst one for relief. If they contiue to get sick, I think I have done all I can to support them...?

Last edited:
My MoJo died. The bird pictured in my avatar. My heart breaks. I miss her SO much. She was so cool.
I did everything I could and it didnt matter. My cuckoo maran is also sick. Everyone else is fine. I have her seperated. She can hardly breath. I am going to have her put to sleep in the morning. I don't have any idea what happened other then they caught a cold. I will NEVER buy any birds before May or june.

Back
Top Bottom