Help! Urgent! Month old Cayuga duck very lethargic!

EMK

Hatching
May 29, 2020
We are newbies to duck life. We have done tons of research and incubated ducks eggs for the first time and have 7, ducklings that will be a month old on Sunday. (mix of Cayuga, Crested, and Ancona’s)
We woke up this morning to a very lethargic Cayuga duck named Stormie who quite honestly looked like he was dead. He was laying away from the other 6 ducks. I scooped him up and he felt very warm. I got him in the water to cool him down a little right away. I have isolated him in a bin away from the other 6 ducklings. He is pooping, (looks normal) is very vocal, is walking around. I have given him some finely chopped garlic and oregano mixed with his food. Which I have read is very good for them and has similar properties to avian antibiotics. He is resistent to eat or drink very much. After reading a few other threads I have also put a few drops of AppleCiderVinegar in his water. He just seems really off. I am very worried. He hasn’t gotten into anything or been exposed to anything new. They have a bath before bed and he was acting very normal in his bath last night. Stormie is usually very active and vocal. He is having a hard time being away from the rest of his duck friends. His eyes don’t look milky or off, his nasal passages look clear...Whatelse should I be doing? Any suggestions? Any ideas as to what could be going on?

We are newbies to duck life. We have done tons of research and incubated ducks eggs for the first time and have 7, ducklings that will be a month old on Sunday. (mix of Cayuga, Crested, and Ancona’s)
We woke up this morning to a very lethargic Cayuga duck named Stormie who quite honestly looked like he was dead. He was laying away from the other 6 ducks. I scooped him up and he felt very warm. I got him in the water to cool him down a little right away. I have isolated him in a bin away from the other 6 ducklings. He is pooping, (looks normal) is very vocal, is walking around. I have given him some finely chopped garlic and oregano mixed with his food. Which I have read is very good for them and has similar properties to avian antibiotics. He is resistent to eat or drink very much. After reading a few other threads I have also put a few drops of AppleCiderVinegar in his water. He just seems really off. I am very worried. He hasn’t gotten into anything or been exposed to anything new. They have a bath before bed and he was acting very normal in his bath last night. Stormie is usually very active and vocal. He is having a hard time being away from the rest of his duck friends. His eyes don’t look milky or off, his nasal passages look clear...Whatelse should I be doing? Any suggestions? Any ideas as to what could be going on?
I'm sorry no one has helped you - I have tagged some folks that can hopefully offer some suggestions for you on your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-please-second-in-flock-sick-month-old-duck.1380863/

I'm sorry no one has helped you - I have tagged some folks that can hopefully offer some suggestions for you on your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-please-second-in-flock-sick-month-old-duck.1380863/
Thank you for answering!!! Our ducklings are all 1 month old. On Friday morning we found Stormie laying on his side, lethargic. I isolated him away from the rest of my ducks. Friday night at 11:30pm we found Lucky the same way. His head was all the way back, lethargic. I have read everything and anything I can find and talked to as many duck owners as possible. They thought maybe it was diet related or they had a parasite. No visible “guck” in their nose or mouth, eyes do not look cloudy. I started giving them electrolytes in their water (crime a feed store), lots of blueberries for natural sugar, they have lettuce, apple and always have their feed available. I really thought the worst had passed and just now we found our third duck Gordie the same way! Stormie and Lucky are doing really good and seem to be back to normal. This is terrifying! Can anyone shed some light on what is going on? Could this be a parasite or a respiratory infection? Any other ideas as to what could be going on. I have been monitoring my ducks 24/7. Not a lot of sleep going on. Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom