Help us identify our flock!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Maverick061106, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Maverick061106

Maverick061106 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    These were straight run chicks we got from TSC around Easter... I think we have most, if not all, hens now.

Was told at TSC this one is a Black Rock? Could be right, but I don't have much faith in the fellow's knowledge, for other reasons...
    [​IMG]

My parents had several of these and couldn't ever figure out what they were...
    [​IMG]

This rooster, I believe we have narrowed down to a Splash Andalusian...
    [​IMG]

And we have 6 Buckeyes, we got from Ward's Feed Store (who I believe got them from McMurray, but not sure)... however, there is a black one? Do Buckeyes throw a black every so often? Or is the black one something else? Don't know if any of these are roosters yet... they were straight run as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. rebecky1305

rebecky1305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Lansing, MI
    Top one is a Barred Rock, the red ones are probably Red Sex Links, and the white one looks like an Easter Egger because of the green legs. Not sure about the black one.

3. roverjohn

roverjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    KCMO
    The first two are a Barred Rock roo and then a Golden Comet. No guess on the black one and now I want some Buckeyes. Nice looking birds.

4. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    1) Yes, Barred Rock hen
    2) She is a production red. They come with various names and from various cross breedings. Will be a good layer.
    3) Splash Andalusian roo seems about right
    4) Be sure your Buckeyes are developing a pea comb. Your black seems like a mixed breed to me.

5. ChurpyChicken

ChurpyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Buxton/Leek
    1- maran
    2 - warren
    3 - not sure
    4 - rhode island red
    The last picture not sure - Id guess at black rock?

My guesses! Not 100% sure though.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  6. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    Quote:Thanks, they are our new favorites, too. We really like them - they seem to be slow growers, but are pretty friendly and laid back - and very nice to look at. Supposed to be a good dual-purpose chicken... we were hoping for at least one rooster out of the six we got, but don't know yet...

7. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    Quote:Thier combs are just now starting to show - definitely look like pea combs from what I can tell so far. One's is redder and more visible than the rest, but I think she is a little older than the others - she (or he) has been the biggest since we got them.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:Thier combs are just now starting to show - definitely look like pea combs from what I can tell so far. One's is redder and more visible than the rest, but I think she is a little older than the others - she (or he) has been the biggest since we got them.

[​IMG]
    I always wanted Buckeyes. Had chicks for around 6 weeks before a coon broken and killed them. [​IMG] Haven't replaced them yet.

9. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree with the others on the Barred Rock, and Golden Sexlink. I am not sure on the Splash Rooster.

The black one is not a Buckeye. Buckeyes never throw other colors as pure breed.

That little black "roo" has some markings like a Barnevelder but he could just be a mix of some sort.

Edited to add

Buckeyes are hard to sex when they are young, however from the pictures I think I see one rooster and a couple of pullets. The rooster will have thicker legs, be a little bigger, and generally their tails don't come in a fast as the females.

10. Maverick061106

Jun 17, 2010
    Fall Branch, TN
    Here are the Buckeyes when they were babies - they were the last ones left, so we just took all six... We love them! Even if the black one isn't a Buckeye, we still think he or she is nice-looking...

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by