Help us identify our flock!

Maverick061106

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 17, 2010
Fall Branch, TN
These were straight run chicks we got from TSC around Easter... I think we have most, if not all, hens now.

Was told at TSC this one is a Black Rock? Could be right, but I don't have much faith in the fellow's knowledge, for other reasons...
HPIM5784.jpg

My parents had several of these and couldn't ever figure out what they were...
HPIM5783.jpg

This rooster, I believe we have narrowed down to a Splash Andalusian...
HPIM5786.jpg

And we have 6 Buckeyes, we got from Ward's Feed Store (who I believe got them from McMurray, but not sure)... however, there is a black one? Do Buckeyes throw a black every so often? Or is the black one something else? Don't know if any of these are roosters yet... they were straight run as well.
HPIM5779.jpg

HPIM5776.jpg

HPIM5777.jpg

HPIM5781.jpg

Thank you!

Top one is a Barred Rock, the red ones are probably Red Sex Links, and the white one looks like an Easter Egger because of the green legs. Not sure about the black one.

The first two are a Barred Rock roo and then a Golden Comet. No guess on the black one and now I want some Buckeyes. Nice looking birds.

1) Yes, Barred Rock hen
2) She is a production red. They come with various names and from various cross breedings. Will be a good layer.
3) Splash Andalusian roo seems about right
4) Be sure your Buckeyes are developing a pea comb. Your black seems like a mixed breed to me.

1- maran
2 - warren
3 - not sure
4 - rhode island red
The last picture not sure - Id guess at black rock?

My guesses! Not 100% sure though.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks, they are our new favorites, too. We really like them - they seem to be slow growers, but are pretty friendly and laid back - and very nice to look at. Supposed to be a good dual-purpose chicken... we were hoping for at least one rooster out of the six we got, but don't know yet...

Quote:
Thier combs are just now starting to show - definitely look like pea combs from what I can tell so far. One's is redder and more visible than the rest, but I think she is a little older than the others - she (or he) has been the biggest since we got them.

Quote:
Thier combs are just now starting to show - definitely look like pea combs from what I can tell so far. One's is redder and more visible than the rest, but I think she is a little older than the others - she (or he) has been the biggest since we got them.

thumbsup.gif

I always wanted Buckeyes. Had chicks for around 6 weeks before a coon broken and killed them.
hit.gif
Haven't replaced them yet.

I agree with the others on the Barred Rock, and Golden Sexlink. I am not sure on the Splash Rooster.

The black one is not a Buckeye. Buckeyes never throw other colors as pure breed.

That little black "roo" has some markings like a Barnevelder but he could just be a mix of some sort.

Edited to add

Buckeyes are hard to sex when they are young, however from the pictures I think I see one rooster and a couple of pullets. The rooster will have thicker legs, be a little bigger, and generally their tails don't come in a fast as the females.

Last edited:
Here are the Buckeyes when they were babies - they were the last ones left, so we just took all six... We love them! Even if the black one isn't a Buckeye, we still think he or she is nice-looking...

Buckeyes.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom