HELP! Vent Gleet and MAGGOTS on my hen!

erinnyes

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Me again! One of my hens is looking bad and I was seeking advice on what's wrong with her. At first I noticed that she has some poop issues, namely that she ONLY excretes a white watery substance with bits of greenish "slime" in it. She never excretes solid waste lately and her poop is always mixed with bits of bright green, never brown. Also it smells VERY strong and very bad.

Her appetite and water intake are normal, her comb and eyes are bright, and her weight has stayed about the same. She does not appear sickly at a glance, and does seem to go on about her business as usual, only she will lay in the grass now more than she used to, apparently just resting.

Her body weight is normal as I mentioned but she does have a hard belly. It doesn't look or feel like eggbound, but it is much harder than my other chickens and has no "give" when pressed. She appears to have some trouble jumping onto her perch now and I suspect that her swollen abdomen in the reason for this?

I've looked all over the internet for something that sounds like this, but I haven't found anything. Most of the diseases I've heard that include greenish diarrhea also say that at this stage the chicken will be emaciated, which is not true in my case.

Any ideas what's wrong with her? This has been going on for about a week and I'm afraid she might be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Hi, i own 2 hens myself, i had this problem about a month ago and was worried as well. My chickens poop was blue (odd). I read an article and it stated that poo colour may be affected by what the chicken eats. Lettuce causes sloppy poo, while other foods simply do not make friends with the chickens stomach that well. I also assumed that my chicken was egg bound as she would not jump onto her roost and would lay around and act lethargic. After thinking my chicken was egg bound i filled up a tub with warm water and rested the chicken in the tub for 10 minutes, this relaxed her muscles to help with the exit of her egg. After this occasion my chicken did one final blue poo and went back to normal, she was not egg bound! If your chicken is egg bound it is better to give her a warm bath for 10 minutes and if worst comes to worst, you may have to use you hands to help assist with the exit of her egg (in this, i mean sticking your hand up her bum). In my case my chicken just needed a warm bath, try it, and if not seek professional help from the vet, tell me if anything works or of your hens progression!
wee.gif

My chicken has this too. I thought she was egg bound and gave her bath but after sticking my finger up her Burt I found that there was no egg. She hasn't laid any eggs since that day and this has been going on for about a week. I'm really worried about her. She lays around all day but she does eat and drink so that's normal. She isn't loosing weight so that's good too.....any advice??_

Me again! One of my hens is looking bad and I was seeking advice on what's wrong with her. At first I noticed that she has some poop issues, namely that she ONLY excretes a white watery substance with bits of greenish "slime" in it. She never excretes solid waste lately and her poop is always mixed with bits of bright green, never brown. Also it smells VERY strong and very bad.

Her appetite and water intake are normal, her comb and eyes are bright, and her weight has stayed about the same. She does not appear sickly at a glance, and does seem to go on about her business as usual, only she will lay in the grass now more than she used to, apparently just resting.

Her body weight is normal as I mentioned but she does have a hard belly. It doesn't look or feel like eggbound, but it is much harder than my other chickens and has no "give" when pressed. She appears to have some trouble jumping onto her perch now and I suspect that her swollen abdomen in the reason for this?

I've looked all over the internet for something that sounds like this, but I haven't found anything. Most of the diseases I've heard that include greenish diarrhea also say that at this stage the chicken will be emaciated, which is not true in my case.

Any ideas what's wrong with her? This has been going on for about a week and I'm afraid she might be uncomfortable.

I will try giving her a bath tomorrow, thanks Penny! Couldn't hurt her, and at very least it will give me a chance to wash her butt. One problem I have is that I live in a rural area and I don't know of a vet anywhere that works on chickens. I tried asking my cat/dog vet, and my horse vet, but they had no one to refer me to. So if this doesn't work I'm not sure how to proceed after that. :/

After reading willow's post and doing some more reading on egg peritonitis I think this may be her problem... maybe. Obviously it could still be a number of things but I had no idea that this was such a common thing for hens! Sounds like almost everyone has lost a hen to it at some point. Well, anyway, since I can't diagnose her myself and don't have a vet to help, I will bathe her and do what I can. If she starts to look like she's suffering I might have to put her down... but so far she seems fine. Just swollen and lethargic. :/

If anyone else has any ideas I'd be glad to hear them!

Thanks for that! :D I actually hadn't seen that chart before! My hen's poop looks kind of like one of those the one who may have had worms or peritonitis. Mine looks a little less formed though and more green, almost like it's white stuff with spinach in it. I doubt the problem is worms because I wormed the whole flock with Wazine and then Ivormectin only a few months ago... But maybe I could give her another treatment, just to be safe? I haven't seen anything worm-like in her poops for sure.

Thanks for that! :D I actually hadn't seen that chart before! My hen's poop looks kind of like one of those the one who may have had worms or peritonitis. Mine looks a little less formed though and more green, almost like it's white stuff with spinach in it. I doubt the problem is worms because I wormed the whole flock with Wazine and then Ivormectin only a few months ago... But maybe I could give her another treatment, just to be safe? I haven't seen anything worm-like in her poops for sure.
Yeah thats what mine looks like too. I looked at that chart yestersday and saw the poop.

Back
Top Bottom