HELP! Vent gleet, vent prolapse or egg bound?

OneOfTheHems

Chirping
5 Years
May 4, 2017
Ohio
Hi all. I have a 5 year old gold lace. She started with poo stuck on her feathers last week. I got it off. She was acting normal, eating, drinking, etc. Yesterday she started acting lethargic. Her comb is a good color. She is still eating and drinking. But she is wanting to lay or stand around. She had some very watery discharge that was white and clear coming from the vent. I looked and say what looked like a soft egg shell. I have done 2 warm soaks. I tried to pull it out but was unable to get it out. Any suggestions on what I can do? In my 7 years of having chickens I have never run across this problem.

Hi all. I have a 5 year old gold lace. She started with poo stuck on her feathers last week. I got it off. She was acting normal, eating, drinking, etc. Yesterday she started acting lethargic. Her comb is a good color. She is still eating and drinking. But she is wanting to lay or stand around. She had some very watery discharge that was white and clear coming from the vent. I looked and say what looked like a soft egg shell. I have done 2 warm soaks. I tried to pull it out but was unable to get it out. Any suggestions on what I can do? In my 7 years of having chickens I have never run across this problem.
Can anyone give advice? I'd take her to a vet but we don't have any close that will see chickens. Please if anyone has advice or insight I'd greatly appreciate it.

IMG20220527134853.jpg
IMG20220527134828.jpg

Sorry no one responded sooner, I'm not quite sure what's wrong with her. She doesn't have a prolapse, which is good. You say you thought you saw a shell-less eggshell? You tried to pull the eggshell out and it didn't come out right? Where did the eggshell go? I don't see it in the pic. Give her some calcium citrate +D3.

She was working her vent area open and close. She keeps doing that like something is stuck. When I tried to gently pull on it she started doing that and part of it broke off and the rest went back in. I have soaked her again and still can't get it to come back out. I did give her a nutrient boost in liquid form yesterday I also gave her acv mixed in water this morning. But I'll try the d3 the and calcium.

@Tookie is right. Your hen needs a calcium citrate tablet immediately to help encourage strong contractions to push the egg remains out. This is what you want to buy. Get it at Walmart.
F57D4B6B-216D-49EC-A92C-3DFAF3C5915E.jpeg
Give one tablet directly in the beak. Give one each day until the eggs are coming out with normal shells. Then she can go back to relying on oyster shell or her calcium needs.

Calcium in the citrate form with vitamin D3 is much more effective than warm soaks and far less stressful.

If you see any yolk residue on that collapse egg membrane when she finally expels it, it means the yolk broke inside and is now starting to grow bacteria. She will need to go on an antibiotic in that case to avoid developing a chronic infection that could cause sterility or early death.

Back
Top Bottom