Help! Vent prolapse.

tousiga

Hatching
Jun 24, 2021
I need help determining if I need to cull my favorite girl. I found her with a prolapsed vent yesterday, cleaned her up, attempted to reinsert, and it popped back out. I applied Preparation H and left her separated from the flock with fresh food and water overnight. The next day, the bulge of tissue seemed slightly smaller, I cleaned her up again, reinserted once more, held it in place for five minutes, and it almost immediately popped out again. The protruding tissue seems to have some necrosis to it as well, as if I wasn’t able to catch her problem before my bully chicken got to her. One more problem is that it seems she’s continually trying to push sometime out. With the second reinsertion attempt, I felt around and there is nothing hard, so I’m fairly confident no eggs are stuck. Does it sound like she can come back from this? This is a picture before I had really gotten the chance to clean her up.

Attachments

• 41457403-CABD-4BA2-9FA4-8E5A3F8031D5.jpeg
    41457403-CABD-4BA2-9FA4-8E5A3F8031D5.jpeg
    750.3 KB · Views: 15
How old is she? It can take a few days or more for the prolapse to go back in. I think my one pullet had a prolapse for over a week, and then it finally stayed in. Try soaking her butt in epsom salt.

Also helps to put her in a dark place to slow down the laying cycle and reduce stress.

How old is she? It can take a few days or more for the prolapse to go back in. I think my one pullet had a prolapse for over a week, and then it finally stayed in. Try soaking her butt in epsom salt.

Also helps to put her in a dark place to slow down the laying cycle and reduce stress.
She’s 2.

I need help determining if I need to cull my favorite girl. I found her with a prolapsed vent yesterday, cleaned her up, attempted to reinsert, and it popped back out. I applied Preparation H and left her separated from the flock with fresh food and water overnight. The next day, the bulge of tissue seemed slightly smaller, I cleaned her up again, reinserted once more, held it in place for five minutes, and it almost immediately popped out again. The protruding tissue seems to have some necrosis to it as well, as if I wasn’t able to catch her problem before my bully chicken got to her. One more problem is that it seems she’s continually trying to push sometime out. With the second reinsertion attempt, I felt around and there is nothing hard, so I’m fairly confident no eggs are stuck. Does it sound like she can come back from this? This is a picture before I had really gotten the chance to clean her up.
Following! Same exact thing with my chicken right now! The whole necrosis and all!!

Back
Top Bottom