HELP! Vent protruding and maggots in wound above vent (Graphic Pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by svwaterho, Apr 20, 2011.

1. svwaterho

svwaterho New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    We have an 11 month old Buff Orphington Hen who has foot problems and so she can't get on the roost at night, she instead lays in a corner of her hen house that we keep nice and clean. Today I noticed that her waste has noticeably started building up on her backside so I decided to clean it very well today, when I started washing her I discovered that some of her body is protruding from her vent and above that there is a wound that has maggots in it (the brown circle, you can't make out the maggots in the picture but there are a TON of them). I have no idea what to do. She will never be able to roost and therefore able to keep from soiling that part of herself during the night. Am I going to be going against the slope of nature to even try and resolve this?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. svwaterho

svwaterho New Egg

Apr 20, 2011
    [​IMG]

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Sorry you are having this issue. This is VERY fixable. Clean the wound really well with a water/iodine solution. If you don't have iodine just used warm soapy water and rinse well. I would clip away all feathers. You can spray Adam's Flea spray on the area to get rid of the maggots. You can also use some Sevin powder on the area. I would keep her up and away from the other chickens until this has time to dry and heal. I would keep her indoors to keep away more flies. Check the wound often to make sure the maggots have died off. Has she been dewormed lately? This could be the cause of the initial fecal build up, which stayed moist, attracted flies and that's how this cycle could have begun. For the prolapse, I would gently push everything back into the vent. You can moisturize this area with Preperation H (without pain medication in it). Maybe someone else can think of something too. Hope this helps, if you clean it and medicate, she should do fine.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Ok not a vet but lots of animals thru the years.
    Good news is . maggots as gross as they are, are a very good thing on a wound. because they only eat dead meat and infected meat. so now that you know they're, there.. clean the wound really well you can pull the maggots out or flush them out. ( you'll have to check everyday for more) there are some excellent medicated ointments you can put on the wound that you can get at the feed and seed store one of my favorites is Corona lanolin-rich antiseptic ointment for horses cattle small animals and pets.. ( works great on scraped knees too ) its great being antiseptic you don't have to add an additional one to it. good stuff.

as far as the protruding vent. I know, I know but life on the farm .. we do what we have to right?.. so clean very gently the little vent.. using CLEAN patrolium jelly coat the vent inside and a bit around the outside too. and gently push the vent back inside. ( this happens to dogs too especially small toy breeds when they have a pup with a very large head.) anyway. gentle is the word.. ( bad thing is that once this has happened it might happen again, just keep a watch on her..)

there is a book I have, its the old version of the Storeys chicken book. I do believe it has a section on this also I know they have a new version out too..

as far as her sleeping on the floor not a roost. can you put like a piece 2x4 or two stacked ( broadside)short enough that she can hope onto it, but wide enough to hold her little body but where her fanny will hang over the edge. she wouldn't have to hold on to anything either with her little feet but she'd be off the floor.

I hope this helps you and if your like me, everyone is worth it. even a little chicken.

blessed be )O(
    Pink

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Yep, it's true, Maggots are very therapeutic to wounds! They only eat the dead tissue. Sometimes, in rare cases, even doctors use them on patients with really bad wounds......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by