1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help verify this fowlpox probably

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by jperk, Sep 19, 2013.

1. jperk

jperk New Egg

Sep 4, 2013
    Russell Springs Ky
    Hello noticed this on 4 of my seventeen turkey, Black bumps and i did see another sore with yellow looking pus Im thinking fowlpox from my research here, there is no sores in her mouth, and they act fine, MY next question is i have raised these antibiotic free up to this point, is there anything i can do without antibiotics. and i seen if they survive they will be ok in a few weeks is this correct and will the black bumps go away if they do survive, sorry for a lot of questions but this is my first year and im lost any input appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm dealing with pox now and the only ones that are getting antibiotics are the ones with the wet form, all those with just dry pox seem to get better on their own. You could try putting some iodine tincture on the scabs, that seems to help them dry up faster.

-Kathy

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    hmmmmmmm. Not sure if that is pox. :/

Are you having any other issues with them? Eyes, breathing, foul mouth smell?

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. TV

TV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2009
    Kansas
    It's pox. No need for antibiotic unless they become infected. Pox is caused by a virus, antibiotics are useless against a virus.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by