1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help?? very sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jasmine Fields, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Jasmine Fields

Jasmine Fields Hatching

Nov 12, 2017
    My flock has gotten sick not all of them but most. Their eyes are swelling shut drainage from their nose and coughing and sneezing sounds like they're congested. Some are not that bad but the rooster has done died and 2 more are very weak and won't eat or drink they won't even come out the box. My neighbor gave me some medicine because one of their chickens done the same but I was wonder what should I do to get them to eat? I know its not good for them to go without food or water. And what could this sickness be its very confusing cause some are fine but some are badly sick.

2. Rickba

Rickba Songster

Apr 28, 2017
    Pa
    Sounds respiratory. TS (tetracycline) is the best anti-biotic for respiratory ailments. Add to the water. The one's that won't drink on their own you may have to shoot it into their crop with the plastic end of a syringe. If there is a bird vet in your area, take one to the vet and get it diagnosed.

Jasmine Fields likes this.
  3. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Careful with the syringe, instead tube feeding may work better. Does sound respiratory, you can get faster response in the Search Forum section, type in Respiratory Infection.

Wyorp Rock and Jasmine Fields like this.
  4. micstrachan

micstrachan Crowing Premium Member

You may need to offer them a high protein treat like tuna, chopped egg, or live mealworms to get them to eat. How well ventilated is the coop? Will they drink anytbibg at all? If so, vitamins and electrolytes in their water can help support them while you figure out how to treat. Unfortunately, I am not experienced with respiratory illnesses. I think it’s the fungal the that can take them down super fast. Aspergillosis, I think? But it could be viral or even bacterial. Who’s the resident expert with respiratory illnesses?
    @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @azygous @casportpony

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Jasmine Fields :frow Welcome To BYC. I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Do you have any photos of the sick chickens?
    How old are they?
    What type of medicines did your neighbor give you?

From your description it sounds like you are dealing with a respiratory disease. Infectious Bronchitis, Mycoplasma, Infectious Coryza and ILT are a few of the more common ones. Without testing, it's hard to tell sometimes which one you have. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

You can try treating with injectable Tylan50 which can be found at feed stores like Tractor Supply. Dosage is .20ml per pound given 2times per day for 5days. I recommend that you give it orally. Antibiotics will only treat secondary infections, so they may not be effective with certain illnesses. If you have vet care, that is always best.

For swelling of the eyes - you can flush them with saline or sterile water, try to remove any discharge or pus that you see. Apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or similar to the eyes to help with infection.

It is important, as you mentioned to keep them drinking. If you have them add some poultry vitamins to their water. For food, ideally their normal poultry food - you can try wetting it to make a mash. Chopped egg or tuna would also be good.

fwiw - respiratory illnesses are contagious and can spread rapidly through a flock. Birds that have been sick, recovered and those exposed are considered carriers of the illness for life. I you happen to lose anymore, getting some testing performed by your state diagnostic lab would give be a good idea.

6. Jasmine Fields

Jasmine Fields Hatching

Nov 12, 2017
    ..thanks for all the replys I'm not sure what the medicine was called but it was something for respritory infection it seemed to work most of my chickens are somewhat better they've came out the box eating some they have medicine in all their water I'm mainly worried about one hen now she has drainage really bad she hasn't ate,drank, or even came off the roosting pole in 2 days I'm super worried I've tried getting her to eat treats out my hand she won't take kind of nervous about making her drink I don't want to make her choke I don't have any pics but from everything I've seen on the internet it mostly sounds like infectious corzya many things I've seen says to cull and start over with a new flock I really don't want to have to do that though not all of our chickens have gotten sick we have 3 that are perfectly fine and the rest our getting better besides the one

7. Jessdesk

Jessdesk Chirping

Jun 3, 2017
    I would take your sick hen inside. Put her in a large box, in a warm, quiet place. Offer electrolytes in her water :(

8. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You don't mention them have a terrible odor about them - Infectious Coryza is reported to smell terrible - you would have noticed this.

For the one that is not eating/drinking - I agree with @Jessdesk it would be best to take her off the roost, bring her in where she is warm and give her specialized care. The biggest problem with using medication in the water is if a bird is not drinking or drinking very little they are not getting the meds they need. Getting her hydrated is most important, you can use the medicated water or electrolytes. Tube feeding may be an option if you can't get her to drink on her own. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ing-guide-pictures-updated-9-15-2016.1064392/

ChickNanny13 and Jasmine Fields like this.
  9. Silkiesarefluffydinos

Silkiesarefluffydinos Songster

Oct 16, 2017
    North Carolina
    Separate the heathly birds from the sick birds so not everyone gets the disease, and the birds who refuse to eat too. I recommend putting apple cider vinegar in the water. It encourages them to drink, and contains vitamis and minwraps they beed. I agree, I would tube feed them with something like scrambled eggs, or canned cat food.

ChickNanny13 and Jasmine Fields like this.
  10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds like both you and your neighbor have a chronic respiratory disease, such as MG or coryza. Coryza does smell very bad. Both can cause sneezing, draining eyes and facial swelling. Nasal secretions in coryza are usually thick and yellow, and the eyes can become full of pus. Antibiotics may only treat symptoms, but does not cure the disease. Symptoms can last for weeks or months. Your flock should all be considered carriers, and the disease can linger on and come back whenever the birds become stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by