Help Wanted

Rooster Rules

Songster
7 Years
Hey all, have 5 bantam, spring birds, but full grown, 2 roosters, 1 black rosecomb, 1 old english cross, 3 hens/pullets, 1 black rosecomb, 1 seabright cross, 1 cochin/rosecomb cross, all reared together, all get along.
In my insulated garage with heat lamp over cage are temp 40s, but now 30s, I do not want to turn on furnace in there.
I have a new coop, 6ft X 8ft X 6ft high ceiling, totally insulated, man door, no pop door yet, needs vents, and will add when I can.
Sould I heat it somewhat to introduce flock into it?
I could suspend a heat lamp, with double chain, or buy a small oil rad heater.
Out door temps have been quite cold the last 5 days, last night down to -10f, and more coming, today about 18f.
Some pics

I'd be sure to ventilate before I put the birds in there. Here are two great articles, written by a Canadian:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop
Sorry but I read all that, I know about venting, my? is about the initial move, this is cold country here, with 5 little banties not sure what they can handle. Now the coop, with caution and will create some venting ASAP, these birds certainly will not be over crowded.....thanxRR

Bantam are just not a hardy as large fowl. I would hang a red chick heat lamp.
Thanx Smoochie, my lil Banties are light duty, but still hardy, but not like the biggins, as you say, much less body mass.
Here are some pics, need to make nest boxes, hang feeder from chain, and decide on waterer.
The heat lamp is a brooder type 175 infared, and double suspended from chain, and cord is attached, and all is cable tied, lamp guard is on too. I can touch the housing with my bare hands, good and warm but not super hot. I may need a 250 for -20f and colder, but who knows. I have a removable litter board, and will throw in shavings and birds real soon....RR

I live in Wisconsin. We get -10 days here. I do not heat. Never have. A building with animal heat stays pretty constant even in the coldest of days. Even if it is -20 out side it is not that cold in an enclosed building.My coop has not gone below 0. If you start heating you will end up with frozen combs when they venture out. Birds have been living outdoors way before we started to contain them. Do you think 10-100 years ago they heated the barns for chickens? Heating areas has more negative connotations than positive ones.It builds moisture and upper respiratory infections can happen. Do some more research about heating building for chickens. If these are just pets and you are not building poultry stock that are healthy and strong to feed your family..heat the building for your pets if you must.

I would second the no heat. I'm in N. Michigan and we do not use heat. That said, on the days it got -10 to -20 I would just turn on a regular light bulb in the heat lamp so that they would have a warm spot but not enough to call it heat. Unless you have a back up plan for heat if the power goes out, don't use it because you will lose birds if you lose power.

If the bantams are already in a warmer temperature temp in your garage mid winter moving them the first year out half way through is a bit different.

I would second the no heat. I'm in N. Michigan and we do not use heat. That said, on the days it got -10 to -20 I would just turn on a regular light bulb in the heat lamp so that they would have a warm spot but not enough to call it heat. Unless you have a back up plan for heat if the power goes out, don't use it because you will lose birds if you lose power.
No offence, but Michigan and Wisconsin, do not get anywhere near the bitter cold Manitoba gets, even colder at time than many parts of Alaska, just ask anyone who lives on the border of Minnesota/North Dakota and Manitoba, they will attest to the cold, even Minneapolis is much warmer than here.
If i lived in your areas, I would not heat much either, your weather is much like southern Ontario, a heck of lot milder than Manitoba or Sask, or even Alberta Canada.
I have 5 little banties, they will not throw much heat, they can handle cold but not -30 to -40 in the coop, and it could get close to that with a -55 windchill.
Our electricity is state of the art, Manitoba produces very much Hydro ,infact, it is selling very much into the USA, it is very cheap as compared to many other places. We are lucky, power outage are rare, touch wood.
Last night, 5f, temp in coop on wall, 25, water in pail on floor under 175 watt brooder light, not frozen, wonder what this will be like at -30f.
I do appreciate the input, but I guess somemtimes different situations warrant different solutions. I for 1 am not crazy about ading heat, but this kinda of cold here is worse than a Russian winter most of the time, did you know all cars have plug in block heaters, good luck starting without on a -36 morning...

Back
Top Bottom