Help Wanted

Looks good! They are some lucky little chickens to have such a nice coop and great mom.
smile.png
RRRRooooo ooooossssttttteeeerrrrr.LOL

Last edited:
Delisha, I don't think 5 small bantams are going to raise the temperature to from -10 to zero like your coop does. That is a huge space for those size birds that weigh in at ounces. :rolleyes:

I live in Wisconsin. We get -10 days here. I do not heat. Never have. A building with animal heat stays pretty constant even in the coldest of days. Even if it is -20 out side it is not that cold in an enclosed building.My coop has not gone below 0. If you start heating you will end up with frozen combs when they venture out. Birds have been living outdoors way before we started to contain them. Do you think 10-100 years ago they heated the barns for chickens? Heating areas has more negative connotations than positive ones.It builds moisture and upper respiratory infections can happen. Do some more research about heating building for chickens. If these are just pets and you are not building poultry stock that are healthy and strong to feed your family..heat the building for your pets if you must.
Yah my Grandparents never heated any barn or coop, but then they did not bother with Bantams, all was about food, no lights, no heat "old skool", not sure how they did it, the barn with cows and such was never that cold with those big animals...

[Your chickens look good!! I remember when you built them their nice indoor coop.
smile.png
Hey Smoochie, hows this for "Overkill", 700 watt 100% sealed oil rad heater, and brooder light. The brooder light won't be used, but retaining for backup.
I intend to keep coop just warm enough to keep water thawed, no more, and would not worr\y except there are only 5 bantams, and the building is small, but not to them,. It is in a north exposure for now, so it will get the -40f weather on it this winter, going to be 0 to -2f tonight, then warming again.

What a nice setup! Are you going to be breeding this spring? Manitoba is COLD..But great if you love snow activities. :). The snow is beautiful!

What a nice setup! Are you going to be breeding this spring? Manitoba is COLD..But great if you love snow activities.
smile.png
. The snow is beautiful!
Going to breed the purebred black rosecombs, or try to at least. The coop is on my driveway, got it home last week, it will be getting moved, either soon or in spring, Moving it near the trees, window facing south or east, will build run too. If I like this game, will build mega coop, and try some regular sized birds, and maybe Peafowl too.
I just came in from coop, spread out the pine shavings, it was like 60f in there, turned the heat to lowest setting and turned off the heat lamp..glad you like the set-up.......RR ps not a big fan of snow, cant drive vintage cars in snow

Going to breed the purebred black rosecombs, or try to at least. The coop is on my driveway, got it home last week, it will be getting moved, either soon or in spring, Moving it near the trees, window facing south or east, will build run too. If I like this game, will build mega coop, and try some regular sized birds, and maybe Peafowl too.
I just came in from coop, spread out the pine shavings, it was like 60f in there, turned the heat to lowest setting and turned off the heat lamp..glad you like the set-up.......RR ps not a big fan of snow, cant drive vintage cars in snow

Just a warning that bantam compared to regular size chickens you will get around 6X the poop.. LOL :p.

I love peafowl and Guinea but not the noise!! :rolleyes: I am thinking quail... Maybe even a Malay flock.

Back
Top Bottom