Help! Ways to cull sick chickens

kristendouglass

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2015
I have two chickens with what I believe is advanced stage Mareks. Is there a way to safely and humanely euthanized them other than breaking their necks or chopping their heads off?

You could shoot them in the head, or do euthanasia by vet.

I personally prefer the other options since the vet option would render the bird inedible.

Most people who do it at home use some type of cervical dislocation. It's the simplest and most humane. The actual method is really based on what you are comfortable with, what works for you.
After trying quite a few methods, the following article is how I do it now, for many of the same reasons as the author. No one likes doing it, but it's a necessary thing if you keep chickens. The best other option is having a vet do it, but as previously stated, then you can't eat them, if that's part of the plan. Many of us that hatch have to do something with the extra roosters, so eating them is better than wasting them. The vet option is also more expensive, and not always convenient in an emergency.
I can honestly say, though I don't like doing it, I find the anticipation of it, the thinking about it, worse than the actual doing of it.
https://www.muranochickenfarm.com/2017/06/the-easiest-way-to-cull-chicken.html

Back
Top Bottom