Help?!? We don't have weasels?!?!

chickchickgirls

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Oregon
So in the last three years, I have lost 2 chickens to what we thought was a possum. We just lost our one and only girl duck (who just started laying, btw) a couple days ago. All of them have looked like they were just laying dead on the ground, until you pick them up. Whatever ate them, started at the bum and only ate the inner organs. There doesn't seem to be any other damage. I looked on the sticky page and it sounds like a weasel. I have never seen a weasel here in my whole life. Would a possum eat them the same way?

I don't what it could be, but even though you don't see them, doesn't mean that you don't have weasels. I don't see them, either, but have seen the damage they do. When they got into my coop, they killed a bunch of 6-week old chicks. The only sign I found was two little bite marks on the neck or under the wing. They will bite, then drink or lap up the blood. IMO, mink and weasels are very destructive as they will kill as many birds as they can at a time.

There are weasels everywhere around here. In just 3 nights earlier this year, 2 farms I know lost over 70 birds to them. They are so small and usually noctournal, that you don't often see them.
You don't often see mice either, but they are everywhere.

This is not the work of a weasel. If you set a live trap or are able to watch you will find a possum. They are stupid and easy to catch. Bait for the trap can be any meat or anything nearly rotted.

Quote:
We have seen a possum in their coop before. Earlier this year my husband heard the chickens freaking out around 2 am. He shined his light out in the yard and saw a possum helping himself to the grain. He grabbed his rifle (only weapon nearby) and shot it. The possum flew up in the air and then flopped on the ground with its legs akimbo, not moving. My husband went back to bed and figured he'd get the body out in the morning. Apparently, he never heard the expression "playing possum" because it was gone the next morning. We have tried the live traps but all we ever catch is neighborhood cats. Any bait suggestions?

Quote:
We have seen a possum in their coop before. Earlier this year my husband heard the chickens freaking out around 2 am. He shined his light out in the yard and saw a possum helping himself to the grain. He grabbed his rifle (only weapon nearby) and shot it. The possum flew up in the air and then flopped on the ground with its legs akimbo, not moving. My husband went back to bed and figured he'd get the body out in the morning. Apparently, he never heard the expression "playing possum" because it was gone the next morning. We have tried the live traps but all we ever catch is neighborhood cats. Any bait suggestions?

possum for sure, and try marshmellows for possum and coons there a little sweet for cats, or even try the grain the possum was eating

So in the last three years, I have lost 2 chickens to what we thought was a possum. We just lost our one and only girl duck (who just started laying, btw) a couple days ago

So do you keep a trap set?

Figuring out what did it is MUCH easier once you CATCH it​

Yeah possums and coons will attack sleeping birds. Weasels will go for the neck, usually just make a small incision in the jugular and drink the blood. Also, in my experience, they will take out a bunch at a time.

In my earlier post I told you about meat for a possum bait. Since it seems to eat grain you might try some wet half rotted grain. I have found that the smellier the better for possums.

Quote:
So do you keep a trap set?

Figuring out what did it is MUCH easier once you CATCH it

Yes always keep a trap set, if it aint set you wont catch it, even after you catch your possum or whetever you may be surprised theres a lot more out there

Back
Top Bottom