Help, we need ventilation advice!

Vickilynn45

Songster
7 Years
Apr 16, 2012
Ok, we are finishing up our coop and need some ventilation advice from you experts. It's 8'x7' in size. Front of the coop is 7' high and the roof slopes down to 6' in the back. We have two windows in there, they are good-sized. In the summer we also have a screen door (covered in hardware cloth) and this will only be used during the day. On the roof is one of those full-sized spinning vents- kind of looks like a crown. I think the opening to that is about 10-12". At the top of the coop walls we have 1 cutout in the front and 1 also in back, right in between the studs. I'm guessing those cut outs are about 3" high by maybe 12" wide. So the winter ventilation would only really consist of the top spinning vents and the front and back cutouts at the top of the walls where the roof meets them.

I'm in WY. We have cold winters with snow, and very low humidity. So considering our humidity is very low, do you still think we need to add more ventilation? We have 6 six-week old chicks and would like to get a few more in the future. One of the options that we have are to add more cutouts (also covered with hardware cloth) along with the front and back ones. We can have a bit of wind in the winter, and I just worry about too many drafts for the chickens, but then again none of my vents that I will use in the winter are down near their roosting areas. Will the two vents we have at the top of the walls, along with the spinning roof vent be enough for our dry winters? Or would you all recommend opening up a few more of those vents in between the wall studs up top of the wall?

I really hope this makes sense, and if you need more clarification, let me know. Thanks in advance!

Here is a link to an excellent page by one of our knowledgable BYC members, which may help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Also, it's not so much the humidity where you live, but the humidity that your chickens create themselves.

Good luck.
smile.png

Humidity seems to be irrelevant, since chickens don't have any exposed skin. I doubt that chickens sweat, since there is no exposed skin. If there is no sweating, the humidity would not affect how well it evaporates.

When the weather is hot, they need shade, ventilation, and water. When it is cold they need ventilation, no drafts, and water. The ventilation is for carrying off the accumulated ammonia and other gases to help ensure fresh air.

I always figured that chickens could keep warm with the down comforters they all have.

Chris

Humidity seems to be irrelevant, since chickens don't have any exposed skin. I doubt that chickens sweat, since there is no exposed skin. If there is no sweating, the humidity would not affect how well it evaporates.

When the weather is hot, they need shade, ventilation, and water. When it is cold they need ventilation, no drafts, and water. The ventilation is for carrying off the accumulated ammonia and other gases to help ensure fresh air.

I always figured that chickens could keep warm with the down comforters they all have.

Chris
Good information, thanks Chris!

Back
Top Bottom