HELP: WEAK CHICK- Don’t know what to do

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
We have three two-day old chicks, and one seems to need more attention. She sleeps a lot more than the others, and begs to be cuddled. We’ve been wrapping her in a towel, holding her in our hands, where she falls asleep. When we try to put her back into the brooder, she refuses to leave our hands, and she chirps until we pick her up again. She is eating and drinking regularly, but does not exercise much with the other chicks. We built a mini-brooder area (see the picture) and want to hold her inside of it reaching inside to keep her warm with our hands. Is this okay? Is my body heat enough to keep her warm? I’m just nervous that she is going to be picked on, as she is the smallest and weakest chick. Please advise!!!

image.jpg

A95C16AE-DAE0-4DDA-B267-4F1C0BC89811.jpeg

We have three two-day old chicks, and one seems to need more attention. She sleeps a lot more than the others, and begs to be cuddled. We’ve been wrapping her in a towel, holding her in our hands, where she falls asleep. When we try to put her back into the brooder, she refuses to leave our hands, and she chirps until we pick her up again. She is eating and drinking regularly, but does not exercise much with the other chicks. We built a mini-brooder area (see the picture) and want to hold her inside of it reaching inside to keep her warm with our hands. Is this okay? Is my body heat enough to keep her warm? I’m just nervous that she is going to be picked on, as she is the smallest and weakest chick. Please advise!!!

image.jpg

View attachment 2091418
What does your brooder look like? Not this box, but where you took her from?
How did you get your chicks (store, mail, farm)?
What is your heat source and how warm is it at the warm end of your brooder?

I will second the sugar and water mixture. 1 TSP in 4 cups water. Eventually you might want to back that up in a few days with 1TSP of Apple Cider Vinegar with the mother to 4 cups water just to help balance the sugar in the digestive system to avoid pasty butt.

Give the chick a few drops of sugar water to boost her energy. We will continue to give weak chicks sugar water every couple waking hours for a day or two.
We gave her electrolytes and probiotics in her water, she seems to be feeling much better today. Even her growth has sped up so she’s about the same size as the others too. :)

Back
Top Bottom