HELP!Weak,gagging,gurgling rooster

TigerLand

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2015
North Louisiana
Im new to chickens, have had a dz full grown hens and and a few roosters for 4 months now. ive lost 1 to coccidiosis(entire flock treated with corid).. 3 to dogs(handled that.) and now my cochin bantam rooster, my favorite chicken is weak, still eating but not drinking a lot. he had a little cough a few days ago but it wasnt bad. pollen is falling like crazy and he had just finished dust bathing. today when i got home from work, he came running to the end of their run with the rest of the flock like normal. when i walked out to see them i noticed he stayed back a little. and was moving around slowly with one eye closed, then both eyes.when he opened them they looked weak. he will cough one time and then stretch his neck out with his mouth opened like hes gagging or has something in his throat. hes making a gurgling sound also i noticed when i picked him up to check him out and syringe some water in his mouth. hes stayed up on his roost the rest of the evening and was still there when i closed up the coop. i opened the back door to look in on him and he was alert and hopped off. anyone have any suggestions? i have a hen who has a slight sneeze, sort of like the cochin banty rooster thats really sick now. thanks

There could be a respiratory disease going around in the flock, such as MG, coryza, ILT, or infectious bronchitis. I would suggest getting one tested through the state vet or local dept. of agriculture. Antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin are frequently used to treat respiratory infections. Coryza is treated with Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine. Do you notice a bad odor in the rooster's face that could be coryza. Here is a link for your state vet and one about the different respiratory diseases:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

thanks so much. i didnt notice any foul smell about the roosters head area. he has blood in his stool like coccidiosis but the gurgling sound doesn't make since. everyday one has died, the next day another one turns up sick. these chickens were kept in the most horrid conditions where i bought them... ive had them for a few weeks treating vent gleet in 3 of them, started treating to coccidiosis on Monday when my frizzled rooster died from it.. its really aggravating because im trying so hard to get them better.. i bought 3 silver laced wyandottes and 3 araucana pullets last week and have a good sized tractor almost finished for them to go into once their feathered out.. they will not be anywhere near these poor birds i already have outside.. having the vet prescribe me some antibiotic for respiratory illness now. Thank you for your help. Im open to anymore advice.

He may have gapeworm..neck stretching and acting as he is ...may indicate this...maybe google gapeworm and see if the symptoms are similar...keep us informed please!

Got home from work a couple hours ago and my sick rooster was still closing his eyes some. but hes now eating really good and staying with the flock. have not seen him gurgle or gag all evening and hes more alert now too. could this be a really bad case of coccidiosis? he had some of the symptoms but the gurgling and gagging and the sneeze is gone.

after losing my frizzled roo to coccidiosis i began adding corid to their water every day. we are on day 2 of treatment. day 1 was tuesday, and i put it in their water early in the morning. 10hrs later when i got home my bantam cochin roo was sick and starting to act like the frizzled roo wbo died. i gave him about 1cc of undiluted corid thru syringe and gave him water too. his poop from last night while roosting had some blood in it and also it was kinda green looking and watery. ill see how it looks later on when i close them up for the night, he is in there roosting now. today hes looking much better! my spitzhauben roo seems a little weaker now today. and has watery poop but no blood. i love these darn chickens lol. ive learned a whoooole lot the last couple weeks.

update on my flock. My cochin bantam rooster is good now it seems.hes starting to crow again and act like his normal bossy self. he coyldnt hold his head up one day and improved a lot over night. then my spitzhauben rooster started acting up. his poop was green and dint have much of anything in it. when i got home later that evening from work he was underneath the coop dead. his neck was stretched backwards and head tucked under a wing. the next day my spitzhauben hen was acting the same way as the spitzhauben rooster. she was eating pretty good yesterday so i guess thats a good thing. i gave her a couple 250mg doses of amoxicillin. going to give her a a dose every 8 hours for 5 days.. i hope she pulls thru... ive lost 4 chickens the last 2 wks, all of them have had different things going on. this is very aggravating. im trying hard to nurse them back to good health. have my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom