Help! Week old chick breathing heavily

Beastie

Songster
7 Years
Mar 11, 2014
I have four week old chicks that I hatched (from my own stock) out of an incubator. We had five but had to cull one, its legs had pretty bad deformities and it seemed like it was struggling to breath. The remaining four seemed pretty healthy aside from getting a little pasty butt which I've been keeping a close eye on. Now one of the chicks seems to be breathing heavy today, it actually opens its beak as it breaths, this one has also had pasty butt more than the others. She seems more lethargic/sleepy than the others. I don't have a thermometer in the brooder but have been adjusting according to their behavior. We have clean the brooder every other day and I'll probably clean it again today to keep a better eye on things. Their poops look pretty normal though I did observe the one that is breathing hard have one poop that looked slightly foamy. They're on unmedicated starter and I've been very careful to wash my hands in between going to take care of them and my big chickens. I'm hoping it will be okay but if it doesn't make it I am desparately hoping it's not something contagious.

I would really try to get a thermometer in there if possible, even just a window one, on the floor under the light. Pasty butt is sometimes due to too high of a temperature or dehydration. If you have SaveAChick or electrolytes, I would dip it's beak in the water as often as you can for the next few hours to see if it perks up. Make the electrolyte water room temperature. The chick could be weak just stressed or it could have some infection from hatch. It seems a little too early for coccidiosis, which is usually seen after 2 weeks, especially not being exposed to the others yet.

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water

It sounds as though your brooder might be too warm causing them to pant. I would move the heat source off to one side so they have a choice as to whether they're near it or not. The odd dropping could be either cecal which is normal; occurring once every so many times so keep an eye on that one chick and if the following droppings are normal then I wouldn't worry about it. If they continue to be like that though, you'll want to treat for cocci.

I moved the lamps up a bit and they all went under them and played next to each other. I'm gonna clean the thermometer that I had in the bator and put it in. I don't have sav a chick, I have an electrolyte solution but I have no idea how to dilute it appropriately since it's for treating huge flocks. I have poly v sol (no iron) and I gave it some of that. I just refilled the water and have been adding a bit of ACV to it. That chick went and got a drink right away but stumbled a bit when it put its head back to swallow. I also put a tiny bit of garlic powder in their food.

To me it doesn't seem indicative of cocci at all. Since cocci usually present as watery/mucousy/bloody droppings. Just not sure what else to do at this point.

I switched out the ACV in their water for some poly v sol vitamins. My vitamin/electrolyte solution says to mix the entire packet into 128 gallons of water. How the heck am I supposed to add the right amount of that into a 1 quart waterer?

Did you see the homemade electrolytes? You can just make a quart or liter, and just add 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp of sugar, and mix into the water. Skip the other ingredients if you don't have them.

Also I called my feed store (the closest one which is about 20min away) and they don't even carry corid. I was going to get it and treat just to be sure but now I don't know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom