Help! Weeks of watery diarrhea

Bongoline

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2020
My ten week old Polish hen has had very thin watery poops for a few weeks now. Initially I thought it was just because of a spike in the heat but it has been continuing since then. I haven’t noticed if she has had more solid poops beyond the watery diarrhea but it seems like not. None of my other hens have had poops like this. The polish still seems to be growing alright and doing fine as far as I can tell, seems like a happy healthy bird. I give her yogurt once a week, and have apple cider vinegar in her water always. I’ve witnessed a dry sneeze (just like a brief pffft sound) coming from all my younger hens too for a while but no symptoms beyond that and they all seem to be doing well.
I’ve included a picture of her droppings. It honestly just looks like drops of water on the dirt with a speck of poo in there. I’ll try to get more photos if that would help.
Thanks so much!
9CE07E3A-F972-498D-9B95-3E4C2425AE0D.jpeg

The heat causes birds to drink more water than usual, then they get watery diarrhea. Stop the yogurt.
Boil some plain white rice and let it cool. Then add buttermilk to the rice and stir it up and give it to your hen. Do this for 2 or 3 days and it should clear up the diarrhea.
Then if you wish, buy Pro Bios dispersible powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat for 5-7 days.
untitledpro.png

The heat causes birds to drink more water than usual, then they get watery diarrhea. Stop the yogurt.
Boil some plain white rice and let it cool. Then add buttermilk to the rice and stir it up and give it to your hen. Do this for 2 or 3 days and it should clear up the diarrhea.
Then if you wish, buy Pro Bios dispersible powder and sprinkle it on top of her feed to eat for 5-7 days.
View attachment 2232031
View attachment 2232031
Some of my girls have diarrhea also due to the heat. I add an electrolyte to their water daily. Can i give all my girls probios on their food or just the ones with runny stools? This would be difficult to do.

Some of my girls have diarrhea also due to the heat. I add an electrolyte to their water daily. Can i give all my girls probios on their food or just the ones with runny stools? This would be difficult to do.
Personally I prefer the boiled white rice with buttermilk. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed. Yogurt tends to pass through them. The rice helps settle the innards. Eventually the diarrhea should stop and feces should firm up.
Keep in mind that giving electrolytes and ProBios at the same time can make the situation worse because both are rich in minerals and vitamins. In other words, too much of a good thing isnt going to bode well for your birds. I recommend only using one or the other.

Personally I prefer the boiled white rice with buttermilk. Buttermilk is a much better probiotic than yogurt and is easily absorbed. Yogurt tends to pass through them. The rice helps settle the innards. Eventually the diarrhea should stop and feces should firm up.
Keep in mind that giving electrolytes and ProBios at the same time can make the situation worse because both are rich in minerals and vitamins. In other words, too much of a good thing isnt going to bode well for your birds. I recommend only using one or the other.
You are such a wealth of knowledge! Thank you! I hope I'm not exhausting you, but is it ok to do rice and buttermilk along with electrolytes or one or the other for that as well? Bongoline, how are your girl's doing?

You are such a wealth of knowledge! Thank you! I hope I'm not exhausting you, but is it ok to do rice and buttermilk along with electrolytes or one or the other for that as well? Bongoline, how are your girl's doing?
Just provide the rice mixed with buttermilk. Ensure they have fresh water to drink during hot temps.

Thank you, yeah my girls are doing seemingly fine. I provided some rice but no change in the diarrhea with polish, in fact now my 6 month EE has very watery diarrhea as well but it is definitely very HOT here. She’s still laying regularly. It’s hard to not feel concerned given how long it’s gone on for the polish and now noticing some kind of bloody looking matter in there as well. Is that just a normal cecal poo?
0CA0F5DC-99C0-4302-B7D0-6BD42426A9EC.jpeg

Thank you! I have a chicken that has diarrhea and the feed store gave me some CORID. That has stopped diarrhea and the other two but one of them still has it (not as bad) so I am trying this. I don’t know if they needed the CORID or not but she said it wouldn’t harm them. I think it might be the heat. Thanks!!

Should it be liquid buttermilk or buttermilk powder on the rice, or does that not matter?

Back
Top Bottom