Help! Weird egg laying behavior. Broody?

mackenzie450

Chirping
5 Years
May 15, 2016
My cuckoo maran has been laying consistently (in the poop box) for about a month now. A few days ago I noticed she sat on her egg for 3.5 hours. Finally I picked her up and took her egg and set her outside the coop. Every day since she has been returning to the spot and sitting for hours without laying. She's not sitting on any egg because she hasn't laid again and I don't have a rooster. Every time I see her I pick her up and set her outside the coop. I have heard of broody hens but don't fully understand/have never dealt with one. What should I do?

She does sound broody. Assuming she is staying on the nest overnight, then you could buy some fertile eggs for her to hatch or break her broodiness. Type "broody buster" in the search box for instructions on how to break broodiness, if that's what you wish to do. Some members seem to prefer letting nature runs its course and do not break broodiness.

Ct

She does sound broody. Assuming she is staying on the nest overnight, then you could buy some fertile eggs for her to hatch or break her broodiness. Type "broody buster" in the search box for instructions on how to break broodiness, if that's what you wish to do. Some members seem to prefer letting nature runs its course and do not break broodiness.

Ct

Thank you! I found a possible solution that I will try.

Back
Top Bottom