HELP!!! Weird poop probs

jennschickens

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014

There I something seriously wrong with them and I don't have a clue what to do. There poop is discolored and runny and they aren't acting as perky as normal. They also seen eating as much as they have been, which is odd because they're broilers. I need help!!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Your bird might have cocci.

This can be a fatal disease and is most often diagnosed in young chicks. Coccidiosis (also known as cocci) is caused by tiny creatures called coccidia, a kind of protozoa. They grow rapidly and spread fast. This germ spreading disease is very common. Protozoa live everywhere including inside chickens. However, in the case of coccidiosis the protozoa become to countless and make the chicks sick. There is not many ways to treat this. But, there are many ways to prevent it. Sadly, some chickens don’t live through coccidiosis because by the time it’s noticed, it’s too late. (Symptoms include: Weakness, lifelessness, pale combs and wattles, bloody droppings, not eating and sudden death.) The good news is if you know your flock and observe them daily, you can catch this early. Plus, if your bird lives through it, she won’t catch it again. The best treatments are amprolium and sulfa drugs and chorid 9.6% solution in the water.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, as Mountain Peeps has suggested, I too think they have coccidiosis. Definitely go to the feed store and get some Corid (Amprolium) to put in the water. This stuff works fast and can save their lives. Don't wait as cocci kills fast. You will see improvement in 1 to 2 days on these meds. Follow the directions on the bottle and do not add anything to this water with the Corid while using it. It is used for 5 full days.

Meanwhile, keep the coop as clean and dry as possible. And while Cocci is everywhere, Cocci thrives in damp conditions. So keep it clean as possible.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

They do sound like they have Coccidosis. Mountain Peeps has given you good advice as to what it is and what to treat it with. I'll add the dosages for the Corid. For the powder, the dosage is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water, and for the liquid it is 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. Give it for five to seven days. You should see improvement before or at day three.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I agree with the others in that your chickens probably have Coccidiosis. That is a serious disease, so to avoid losing any, I would get some Corid and begin treating them.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Your bird might have cocci. 

This can be a fatal disease and is most often diagnosed in young chicks. Coccidiosis (also known as cocci) is caused by tiny creatures called coccidia, a kind of protozoa. They grow rapidly and spread fast. This germ spreading disease is very common. Protozoa live everywhere including inside chickens. However, in the case of coccidiosis the protozoa become to countless and make the chicks sick. There is not many ways to treat this. But, there are many ways to prevent it. Sadly, some chickens don’t live through coccidiosis because by the time it’s noticed, it’s too late. (Symptoms include: Weakness, lifelessness, pale combs and wattles, bloody droppings, not eating and sudden death.) The good news is if you know your flock and observe them daily, you can catch this early. Plus, if your bird lives through it, she won’t catch it again. The best treatments are amprolium and sulfa drugs and chorid 9.6% solution in the water.

I totally agree with Mountain Peeps.

My girls will have very soft light color droppings this comes and goes they do not act any different, and does not effect all of them at the same time. Could this be caused by something they ate. They do seem to prefer to drink from puddles instead of the nipple waterier. It not that they will not drink from the nipple just that if there is water on the ground they go to it first. with all the rain we been getting here it been difficult to keep the pen dry. I feed free choice layer pellet, crushed oyster shell and grit. They get a scratch mix of 5 way mixed with oats meal, flax seed, chia seed and some Datamations earth. I let them range in the yard some for greens and bugs. They appear happy and are good layers. Should I be concerned?

Back
Top Bottom