help! weird shaped aircells on shipped eggs?

pefferlawchicken

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
ontario, canada
i got 18 hatching in the mail and every single one is growing fine but..... alot of them have really weird shaped aircells and i dont know if they are broken , they sort of look like there leaking or somthing im not sure but they are funny shapped will they hatch okl ??
roll.png

I have had some hatch with the air cells really loopy and some that were not shipped that had a strange shape to the air cell at 7 days. Some did not hatch also.

I actually just completed a hatch on Saturday that included 8 eggs that had really wonky air cells. They all started on the fat end of the egg, but then ran down along the length of the egg. I thought they were all goners, but left them in anyway...and 6 of the 8 hatched! You just never know.

welcome to the world of shipped eggs and the great ole post office. I swear they see fragile and shake it to see if it really is. I hatch alot of shipped eggs and I have seen every shape possible for air sacs. When they are shipped and the air sacs are weird shapes I always hatch in a egg carton. Its the only time I do and aot of chicks have hatched in that position then on their sides. Some are just to messed up but in the upright position it keeps the air sac up as much as possible and dont have as much a prob of the chicks drowning by pipping in a high side of the air sac. It also in this position keeps the moisture in the egg toward the botton so chicks head is above it. I have had some hatch that I thought were total goners.

I am on day 16 with 10 marans eggs, they were shipped and the air sacks are also sagging down the sides. All eggs a re fertile and growing. I lowered the humidity to 35 and some of the aircells returned to normal size but a few are still longer than usual.I will be increasing the humidity to aroun 65% in two days so I hope they hatch.

Back
Top Bottom