Help well confused. (Hen feathers growing back in but also lossing some)

Looks like pin feathers growing back in. As to why she is losing feathers, there are a few different reasons.

1) You mentioned you have a rooster. It is not uncommon for roosters to pull feathers from around the back of the head/neck during mating. You may also notice broken feathers or a bald spot on her back just in front of the tail. As long as no real damage is done to the underlying skin, they should grow back in just fine. Sometimes you will notice that they never seem to grow back - that's usually because the other birds are plucking the pin feathers as they come in.

2) You didn't mention how old your birds are, but this could be part of normal molting if she is >1 year old. In that case, expect things to look worse before they look better. Some chickens molt all at once and basically look naked for a little while. Others molt in stages and look patchy for a while.

3) Your birds are pulling feathers due to nutritional deficiency, overcrowding, boredom, or as a byproduct of pecking order squabbles. Make sure you are providing a complete feed with >16% crude protein. If your birds are molting, you may want to provide higher than that. Avoid giving scratch grains - they are low in protein, so just dilute the diet. Then watch your birds - see how she interacts with the others. If they are picking on her, you should see that happening.

Regardless of the cause, I would avoid handling her if you can. Pin feathers can be very sensitive, so it is likely painful for her to be touched right now.

Looks like pin feathers growing back in. As to why she is losing feathers, there are a few different reasons.

1) You mentioned you have a rooster. It is not uncommon for roosters to pull feathers from around the back of the head/neck during mating. You may also notice broken feathers or a bald spot on her back just in front of the tail. As long as no real damage is done to the underlying skin, they should grow back in just fine. Sometimes you will notice that they never seem to grow back - that's usually because the other birds are plucking the pin feathers as they come in.

2) You didn't mention how old your birds are, but this could be part of normal molting if she is >1 year old. In that case, expect things to look worse before they look better. Some chickens molt all at once and basically look naked for a little while. Others molt in stages and look patchy for a while.

3) Your birds are pulling feathers due to nutritional deficiency, overcrowding, boredom, or as a byproduct of pecking order squabbles. Make sure you are providing a complete feed with >16% crude protein. If your birds are molting, you may want to provide higher than that. Avoid giving scratch grains - they are low in protein, so just dilute the diet. Then watch your birds - see how she interacts with the others. If they are picking on her, you should see that happening.

Regardless of the cause, I would avoid handling her if you can. Pin feathers can be very sensitive, so it is likely painful for her to be touched right now.
1. I do have a rooster but she doesn't let him mate her as she pulled her neck feathers out at him and ran.
2. I got them as chickens on February 29, 2020, they are I think 9-10 months old (got some from TTS and a breeder so don't really know their exact age)
3. She is at the top of the pecking order, they have a giant run, never bored, they lay around a lot or just sit and relax in the sun. They have never had a scratch. They eat all flock feed. If one of the other hens peck her she pecks back and "wins" the agruement.

Back
Top Bottom