Help! What’s happening to her feathers? Is it a bully hen or something else?

Christinakolenut

Hatching
Feb 10, 2021
Help!! Does anyone know what is happening to her feathers? Is it a bully hen? I’ve noticed the top hen will go at her if she is eating and noticed all other chickens (6 others) are sleeping together and she is only one by herself on separate roost.

this post is not about hatching I’m not sure why that is listed by my name.

Attachments

• F9928B66-060B-46F6-AD2B-03823E6898F2.jpeg
    F9928B66-060B-46F6-AD2B-03823E6898F2.jpeg
    514.5 KB · Views: 13
  • B04266F9-A89C-4ADC-B3A4-4080000436A0.jpeg
    B04266F9-A89C-4ADC-B3A4-4080000436A0.jpeg
    572.6 KB · Views: 11
It could be, remove the bully hen for a day and see if the one being bullied gets on well with the others, without the bully. It could be that or just moulting season. My chickens are moulting now too.

Firstly, depends where you live - and what the season is if moulting could be an issue.
High chance of a bully. I agree with @ellasflock that you should remove the bully and see what goes down.

At first, I thought no chance being a Silkie. Now I look again and she seems to have very fluffy back area feathers. Is that feather damage or just how she's always been?
If it is how she's always been, she could be Silkie/Isa brown.

But yeah, summing up - I think it's most likely bullying, by the looks.

Wishing you well,
Laura

Help!! Does anyone know what is happening to her feathers? Is it a bully hen? I’ve noticed the top hen will go at her if she is eating and noticed all other chickens (6 others) are sleeping together and she is only one by herself on separate roost.

this post is not about hatching I’m not sure why that is listed by my name.

What do you feed?
Could be feather picking, observe your flock's behavior. Do you notice if she's picking at herself? I would look her over for lice/mites - ideally at night for mites since often they do not live on the bird.

Not sure how your coop/run is set up but adding another feed station is often helpful if you have a bird that's controlling feed. It's not uncommon for hens to do a bit of pushing/bullying a bird from food and treats.
Low in pecking order birds often do not roost with others (not that uncommon) but I would check her over really well.

"Hatching" by or under your name has to do with trophy points, you are a new member, so you are "Hatching". If you look at other profiles/avatars you may see "in the brooder", "chirping", etc. that just means that they have earned some points.
Custom tags like mine can be made if you have a Premium account.
Hope that clears it up a little.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/byc-trophies-points-get-a-trophy-easy-peasy.1205368/

Hi! Thanks all so much. I think it’s feather damage. I haven’t specifically seen any of the chickens actually go after another’s feathers but there is only one chicken (most assertive) that doesn’t have any feather damage. It’s the dead of winter here (February) and weather has been between 16-35 degrees so I’m not sure if molting would make sense? The feather damage has been a slow progression. I first noticed the feathers looking roughed up and almost oily or something initially but now the one has a lot of damage, two have a teeny bit, and one has none. That’s why I suspected the top hen with no damage? We also have three much older black chickens who seem okay with them now and their feathers are perfectly intact. I was told the red chickens are Rhode Island reds but looking at photos they look much more like the other breed you mentioned. They always had a lot of white feathers on the butts. I took more pictures of the damage vs non-damage feathers on the two chicks so you can see the comparison. See attached. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 8792CE8D-9C5B-497C-8AB3-14FA05371961.jpeg
    8792CE8D-9C5B-497C-8AB3-14FA05371961.jpeg
    529.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 910E7452-EF6E-44A8-92C0-61E991745170.jpeg
    910E7452-EF6E-44A8-92C0-61E991745170.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 7
  • A79ECD4B-B884-4671-A793-45CFDF2056E2.jpeg
    A79ECD4B-B884-4671-A793-45CFDF2056E2.jpeg
    591.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 21CD6F6F-8EBC-43DD-B6DB-E9A58AF23C95.jpeg
    21CD6F6F-8EBC-43DD-B6DB-E9A58AF23C95.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 9
They are getting plucked most likely. Do you notice if they are also eating the feathers?
What protein % is your feed and how much treats do you give?
How much space?
I understand it's cold, but are they going outside at all?

Feather damage like that would not be repaired until the birds molt (most likely in the Fall).

I would still check them for lice/mites just to be sure.

The best I could do with breed is say = Production Red but they do not look like RIR to me.

Hi! Okay so I think the feed is called IFA layers mash. I’m going to confirm with the local shop I get it from and ask if I should supplement protein in it more. I’ve been giving them scratch and sun flower seeds. I usually give them some meal worms here and there, some cabbage and lettuce, veg scraps, egg shells, etc. but maybe not enough?

I checked two of them for mites/lice. I didn’t see anything but will look tonight in the dark in case they are in the coop.

My father build the coop and I would say it might be a bit small. The bottom (length) is one sheet of plywood which I think is 32 sq ft? They really only go in there to sleep. Even in the cold they are barging the door to come out in the morning. I have a feeder, water, and some hay that I put down underneath the coop and it has a breathable layer around it to block the wind. There’s no food or water in the coop. It’s just two roosts and 5 nesting boxes. My dad made it so I won’t be the least offended if you think it’s not large/comprehensive enough. Any ideas on how to make it better let me know.

I was watching them a bit this morning and I noticed the top chicken lunge at them a bit or go towards their neck area if she’s annoyed but also saw them eating and drinking together mostly. I noticed she’s more ornery when they are in the coop. She will go at them a bit if they are looking for seeds in the shavings or trying to pick their roosting spot she does the same thing

I haven’t actually seen them eat any feathers or any of them plucking a feather out of another but will try to spend more time out there to investigate.

Appreciate all your help!

I’ve been giving them scratch and sun flower seeds. I usually give them some meal worms here and there, some cabbage and lettuce, veg scraps, egg shells, etc. but maybe not enough?
All those treats are fine in small quantities. Just not too much, they should be eating their layer feed for the greater part of their diet.
If birds don't have a lot of space, this can lead to pecking.
You have 7 birds all together? The coop space may be a bit tight for large fowl, but you have to go with what you have. Try increasing protein and if possible.

Back
Top Bottom