Help!! What am I doing wrong?

SunAngel

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Chambersburg, Pa.
Pic_02May192008.jpg

This is a pic of my brooder and my new little family. They arrived by mail on Monday 5/19. One was dead on arrival, and since then I have lost 2 more, one each day and another is dying now.

I havent a clue what to do. Prior to going downhill they all look like they do in the pic, running around eating and drinking and being lively. Then all of a sudden one starts sleeping more and more and finally doesnt get up. They all seem to be eating and drinking fine.

Will I lose them all? The ones that died so far were 1 Polish, 1 Phoenix and a Buff Banty and now my Crevecoeur is near death
sad.png

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what kind of shavings are they on?
Hopefully not cedar?

Other than that I don't know what to ask, I am a first timer too!

Cedar shavings would be my first question also? That is toxic to chicks. They should be on pine shavings.

Second - where did you get them from? MM has been having a hard spring with lots of their chicks dying due to illness.

Other than that I just don't have enough experience to help more - sorry.

I hope you figure it out quickly. Good luck.

Thanks.

I'm just using pine shavings, definitely not cedar.

I got my chicks from MMH. I called them earlier today and told one of the operators about the 3 dead ones, she credited my account for the cost of them. Guess I will be calling tomorrow too. Think this current sick chick is too far gone already to save.

I just hope in a week or two that I have at least a few remaining chicks. I'm starting to lose my optimism tho.

Are you using medicated starter feed? Have you tried sugar water with the weak ones? Do you have electrolytes on hand to rehydrate them? I'm sorry for asking such obvious questions but I don't know your situation. I'm a newbie too and I was given so much advice before mine arrived.

I was very lucky, I'm on Day 6, received chicks only 4 hours out of the hatchery. I'm so sorry this is happening, there are so many causes. I found that my chicks needed to be taught to drink, for example, which I did by wiggling my finger in water and letting them drink from my fnger tip as I led them to the water and showed them. Some needed beaks dipped, most didn't.

This Ruby doing her penguin imitation. Hang in there, and I'm sure that if you post in the emergency section the experts will emerge, fast!

RubyMay21.jpg

Last edited:
had the same problem with a batch i got from mcmurry - they got a chill during shipping and died 1 by 1 over the next 3 weeks. out of 26 only 6 survived. call your hatchery and tell them what is going on. check their replacement policy. just in case - i kept a video diary on my camcorder.
p.s. all the replacement chicks i received are doing great.
smile.png

it happens sometimes, but it was still a heartbreaking experiance watching them all get sick though.
i wish you all the best!

Last edited:
hmmm, I got my order from MMH on May 5, lost one the next day due to stress, haven't lost any more. I started mine on yogurt on day 2, just sprinkled some crumbles over it. They eat it plain now, and love it!

I guess I am truly a newbie at this chicken raising! I dont have any electrolytes onhand. They all seemed to be drinking and eating fine when they arrived. Maybe I am just not paying close enough attention. Yogurt is good for them? I had no clue. I think I had better start reading.

The woman I talked to today at McMurray asked how my other ones were doing. Now I will have to call tomorrow and change my answer. They have already credited me for 3 so far. I hope I dont lose the majority of them.

I noticed most of their rarer breeds were sold out. So I dont know if I can get another shipment of 25 all females.

I doubt it has anything to do with the hatchery but rather the shipping. If they are dying within the first week, it's probably still residual from shipping stress and being chilled in the day or two they are in the mail with no heating and being tossed by gorillas. I doubt you are doing anything wrong and stuff like that just happens with failure to thrive.

Don't panic but here's a thread with the many possibilities. My guess is your case is shipping stress.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=39604

Back
Top Bottom