Help! What are tiny bugs the size of dust speck?

Fantastic, thank you! I'm sorry to report, that my sweet little cochin hen just died. I can't believe it's because of the mites... perhaps something else? But it could be mites I guess, and I'm feeling just terrible about this. Broken hearted. DH has gone to TSC to get the permethrin dust, and I"ll get the flock dusted, coops cleaned and treated. Perhaps it will help mend my broken heart a bit...
I'm so sorry! :hugs

Treat her and move her outside. Mites in your house can be a true aggravation. :barnie

Yes a severe mite infestation can cause lethargy/illness/anemia. All of your flock needs to be treated.

We moved her out yesterday... she died, I am sad to say. Feeling horrible about it. I wonder if there was an underlying condition and the mites were there too... if it was the mites that killed her, ugh.

Anyway, we've picked up permethrin and the coop cleaning & chicken dusting is today.

We moved her out yesterday... she died, I am sad to say. Feeling horrible about it. I wonder if there was an underlying condition and the mites were there too... if it was the mites that killed her, ugh.

Anyway, we've picked up permethrin and the coop cleaning & chicken dusting is today.
We all have had to learn things about chickens the hard way from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it, because now this is something that you will never allow to happen to one of your chickens. :hugs It is so hard to lose one of our precious girls, and trust me, we always feel responsible no matter what the cause. Remember that you are giving your chickens a life better than they would have in the wild and better than they would have in a battery.

I've posted this so many times in the last few months, but I lost a few to eagles. In 4 years the eagles never bothered anyone's chickens around here. This year they attacked all of our chickens. :hit Now I have bird netting over the run...why didn't I do that before? Because I didn't see the risk. It's how we learn. We just can't know every question we should ask. My point is, you wont lose a chicken to mites again, and I wont lose one to eagles again. And because of BYC, our shared experience might help us not all make the same mistakes.

Hope I was helpful. I know you are sad. :hugs

We all have had to learn things about chickens the hard way from time to time. Don't beat yourself up over it, because now this is something that you will never allow to happen to one of your chickens. :hugs It is so hard to lose one of our precious girls, and trust me, we always feel responsible no matter what the cause. Remember that you are giving your chickens a life better than they would have in the wild and better than they would have in a battery.

I've posted this so many times in the last few months, but I lost a few to eagles. In 4 years the eagles never bothered anyone's chickens around here. This year they attacked all of our chickens. :hit Now I have bird netting over the run...why didn't I do that before? Because I didn't see the risk. It's how we learn. We just can't know every question we should ask. My point is, you wont lose a chicken to mites again, and I wont lose one to eagles again. And because of BYC, our shared experience might help us not all make the same mistakes.

Hope I was helpful. I know you are sad. :hugs

Oh Holy Cow yes, and thank you. Yes, I've been a bit hard on myself for sure. And very sad... I'd feel horrible losing any chicken this way, but Jett was special... she would engage me, jump on my lap to sit, walk up my arm, perch on my arm, perch on my shoulder. She would "talk" to me and I'd talk back. I know to some folks it might sound crazy, but I was so touched by her! By how she was beginning to engage like that. To have that kind of "friendship" cut off is especially hard.

But I thank you for the reminder... she had a good life here, even if it was shorter than I wished it to be... and it was a protected life of love. To focus on her death and my own ignorance doesn't serve the love we shared... it's a hard learning, as you say.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losing chickens to eagles! That must have been terribly hard to go through. If I knew how to find the little hugging emoji's I would post them here! (hugs)

Oh Holy Cow yes, and thank you. Yes, I've been a bit hard on myself for sure. And very sad... I'd feel horrible losing any chicken this way, but Jett was special... she would engage me, jump on my lap to sit, walk up my arm, perch on my arm, perch on my shoulder. She would "talk" to me and I'd talk back. I know to some folks it might sound crazy, but I was so touched by her! By how she was beginning to engage like that. To have that kind of "friendship" cut off is especially hard.

But I thank you for the reminder... she had a good life here, even if it was shorter than I wished it to be... and it was a protected life of love. To focus on her death and my own ignorance doesn't serve the love we shared... it's a hard learning, as you say.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losing chickens to eagles! That must have been terribly hard to go through. If I knew how to find the little hugging emoji's I would post them here! (hugs)
My experience was so similar. Rosie used to sit on my shoulder when I was working in the coop and run. She was one of my original birds, and the top of the pecking order for her whole life. Then the eagles killed Shirley, and fatally injured Ethel. While I had Ethel in sick bay, trying to save her, Rosie was so sad. She stayed to herself for 3 days. I saw her drink, but she didn't come around for treats. I didn't pay attention to whether or not she was eating. I was so preoccupied with Ethel. Then on the 3rd day, Rosie died. There were no injuries, no bugs, just a dead Rosie. I cried and cried because I hadn't taken the time to bring her in and make sure she was okay. I didn't send her for a necropsy, and perhaps should have. I just new she died of shock and a broken heart. Ethel and Shirley were her friends from my original flock. :hit Hugs right back at ya. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom