Help! What breed and/or gender is this?

kpiz

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 2, 2013
Hello- I am new to chickens. What breed/sex is this bird? I do not know how old it is, as it is a feral chicken that has taken to roosting in the trees outside my workplace. I am planning on taking it home, since the weather in RI is getting colder. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into as far as breed temperament goes and whether or not it is a rooster.

I should add- a friend of mine told me it is a hen, but I heard it crowing this morning. I've read elsewhere on the forums that sometimes hens will crow if no rooster is present, and it is a solo bird right now.

Thanks. Good thing there are no laws against roosters in my town. Any idea on the age?

Well as it turns out even though there are no laws in my town against roosters, my boyfriend doesn't want to deal with it crowing. So instead of me taking it in I have to turn it over to the animal shelter. Unfortunate- I work in a group home with developmentally disable/mentally ill clients and they loved this bird but keeping it at the group home as a pet isn't doable. I was going to take it home 1. Because I've always wanted chickens and 2. So my clients could come visit it sometimes. Sad that won't be able to happen now, I wish it was a hen :(

Back
Top Bottom