Help! What breed and/or gender is this?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kpiz, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kpiz

kpiz New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    Hello- I am new to chickens. What breed/sex is this bird? I do not know how old it is, as it is a feral chicken that has taken to roosting in the trees outside my workplace. I am planning on taking it home, since the weather in RI is getting colder. Just want to know what I'm getting myself into as far as breed temperament goes and whether or not it is a rooster.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kpiz

kpiz New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    I should add- a friend of mine told me it is a hen, but I heard it crowing this morning. I've read elsewhere on the forums that sometimes hens will crow if no rooster is present, and it is a solo bird right now.

3. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Rooster maybe an Easter Egger

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Rooster...looks like an Easter Egger.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is an Easter egger rooster. No doubt at all on the gender.

6. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    It's a mutt bird called an Easter Egger - known for laying all different color eggs. And it is 110% male.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

8. kpiz

kpiz New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    Thanks. Good thing there are no laws against roosters in my town. Any idea on the age?

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Probably around 4 months, maybe a little older or younger.

10. kpiz

kpiz New Egg

Nov 2, 2013
    Well as it turns out even though there are no laws in my town against roosters, my boyfriend doesn't want to deal with it crowing. So instead of me taking it in I have to turn it over to the animal shelter. Unfortunate- I work in a group home with developmentally disable/mentally ill clients and they loved this bird but keeping it at the group home as a pet isn't doable. I was going to take it home 1. Because I've always wanted chickens and 2. So my clients could come visit it sometimes. Sad that won't be able to happen now, I wish it was a hen :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by