1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, What breed? Friendly, good layer, doesn't go clucky all the time

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kpborkowski, Jan 14, 2009.

1. kpborkowski

kpborkowski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Chelsea (Vic), Australia
    We would love to add to our flock, but would like a chicken with a placid and friendly nature as we have two young children aged 5 and 3. We would also like a good egg layer and a chicken that tends not to go clucky. At the moment our pekins and silkie seem to be constantly clucky (although we really love there nature we also love eggs).

We can get the following chickens from a hatchery near us. I was thinking maybe an Australorp, Orphington or Wyandotte? (THANKS)

BREEDS
    * Ancona
    * Araucana
    * Australian Langshan
    * Australorp
    * Barnevelder
    * Campine
    * Dorking
    * Faverolles
    * Isa Brown
    * Japaneses
    * Legbar
    * Leghorn
    * New Hampshire
    * Orphington
    * Pekin
    * Plymouth Rock
    * Polish
    * Rhode Island
    * Silkie
    * Sussex
    * Welsummer
    * Wyandotte

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Those three would be my suggestion to you. I also have small children, ages 5 and 6, that do very well with both orps and lorps. We have plans on adding Wyandottes this year also.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Go with variety.

Wellsummer,
    Araucana,
    Faverolles.

For egg laying

Leghorn
    Isa Brown or Cinnamon Queen
    Buff Orp

4. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Araucanas are so very sweet [​IMG]

I have orps and wyandottes, as well, but the Araucanas have them beat.

[​IMG]

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Araucanas are sweet, but not particularly good egg layers. Easter Eggers are better layers. Personally I don;t care for orpingtons--ours are very standoffish. Barred rocks have a lot of personality, but with small children avoid the roos, they have a reputation. Brahmas are wonderful-gentle and inquisitive. The roos are also. Faverolles and marans are also reputed to be gentle. Everyone I know who has had marans RAVED about them.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

To me, nothing better for friendly, curious, intelligent, excellent layer than a Barred Rock. Fits the bill for you.

7. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I'd go with an Australorp. [​IMG] Mine is very friendly and as a chick she would follow me and come to me as if i was her mother [​IMG] Very fluffy too. [​IMG]

8. brn325

brn325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    i would give leghorns a try they almost never go broody and always have eggs. i would suggest to go with one of the colored varieties. they seem to be more calm than production white varieties. we have columbian leghorns that are as friendly any other chicken we have

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Barred Rock roosters are the sweetest I have. You can get a bad individual, but I've had a few of those--two brothers lead my flock right now. Their daddy was sweet, their other brother is even affectionate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by