Help! What Breed or breeds to get?

It's all personal preference. mypetchicken.com has a "which breed are you" chicken matcher/questionnaire.
I'm partial to the heavier, snugglier breeds. cochins, jersey giants, brahmas. They're ok layers, but the sweetheart factor overrides that.
Depends what you want them for! layer/meat/companions?
If you have chickens already you should ook into which breed(s) will integrate the best.
Ameraucana's are not only friendly but great layers, same with buff orps.

I'm going to join the crowd in reccomending the Buff Orpington, hens or roosters. I have some of each and they are the sweetest birds. The rooster will crawl up on you and go to sleep. They always want attension and love being petted, and get jealous when you pet other chicks. They are a real pretty golden color, and love kids. Of all of my breeds this would be the one that gets the highest marks for sure. However...

I have nothing bad to say about the Black Jersey Giants, Australorps, Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, or Light Brahmas. All of my fleet is friendly and easy to love. Good luck choosing, let us know what you decide on.

vortec

I love my buff orpingtons, silver-laced wyandottes, black australorps and barred rocks. My buffs are actually the most aggressive, but only when brooding, so I'm hoping that translates into great mothering. Have fun! We try another 2-3 breeds each spring--it gets addictive!
big_smile.png

I have one buff orp pullet who is best described as a punk
lol.png
The other buff orp is a sweetheart. My two Isa browns are very very friendly. My EE rooster is so far very friendly and laid back. We shall see if he stays that way
cool.png

I have more EE's and RIR on the way soon. I've had RIR's before and the roosters can sometimes be a little aggressive, but never had a problem with the hens.

Bluemoon

Black Australorps and Light Brahmas did extremly well this winter...we had temps at almost -40!! I got a good #of eggs, and even more so now that it's warmer and lighter. My SIL has a bunch of RIR's that also did well this winter. I also have a pair of Silver Spangled Hamburgs that were always out in the yard. Cold or not, they just scratch around. I see you listed a few other breeds that I've heard good things about. But I'm still a newby. I've only been in chickens since July, and I've got a lot of expiriencing to do.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Wow!!! You do have a lot to choose from.

Being new to chicks with 10 pullets that are almost 6 wks old and appear to be all girls, I have been really happy with the variety I chose and would choose again. I selected mine for being known to be hardy, dual purpose, and friendly.

The 3 barred rock are by far the friendliest, fastest growers, fearless, don't mind being picked up, good flyers.

The 3 buff orpingtons are small, med and large with the largest one being the first one to greet you, friendly, flys onto my lap and back likes to be petted and held. The other two a little shy.

2 RIR's are a little shy in that they don't fly up to greet you but don't shy away from my hand when I pick them up. They just aren't as outgoing as the barred or buffs.

The americanas or EE's are the most shy of the bunch. One will fly up but shys away from my hand and doesn't like being picked up. The other is very shy, screams it's head off if I do chase it down and pick it up. Won't even take treats.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

Last edited:
My Australorps are friendlier and tamer than my Buff Orpingtons. And Australorp holds the world record for egg production, plus the eggs are quite large.

Even though this is my first experiance with chickens - I'm going to vote for Buff Orps. The feed store here told me they are a tri-purpose bird: eggs, food, and friend. They are supposed to be good with kids, non-aggressive and bear confinement well. There feathers are a beautiful golden color too....

I would recommend you to do your own research though and find the breed that is right for you. The links already suggested helped me to decide.

I have to say for the beginner Buff O's. Right now I have a mix of B.O's, Dorkings and whyandotts (24 pouletts and 2 roos) and the most layed back and friendly are the B.O.'s. I have had chickens most of my life. I also love the silkies and cochins. Get some B.O.'s cause they will be girls and get some of the silkies and cochins for fun. You'll love them. I call there eggs 2fers- 2=1 HA!HA! I just ordered my little ones for may 15th delivery: I'm getting 8 blk frizzel cochins,8 blue cochins and 8 blue silkies. I figure at least 50% roos. But, I am sure I will get some girls. I want to do the sizzel thing. This will be a foundation, then as I see what I have I will go out and purchase some quality blood to perfect the type. A person has to start some where. I also ordered for fun a trio of red standard cochins, My bantam roo was 11 years old when he met the prey bird(owl). I have his son who is half silkie and cochin. You'll love them. Has anyone seen a red cochin???
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom