HELP! What Breed Or Gender is my chicken?

DaDerpKnight

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2016
So, I have a 3 month year old chicken. She's a little under-grown for some reason (although we feed her frequently). I really want to know its breed and gender. It sometimes bites but is friendly and loves to sit on people. Here are some pictures of her:
When it was a baby!:

Recent pictures of her:

Please help :3

welcome-byc.gif

That's a mixed breed cockerel.

What are you feeding it? chickens really do best when free fed, and at this age it should be getting either chick starter or grower.

We used to feed him chicken starter but that ran out. We feed her a variety of stuff now, for example, rice, noodles (and he loves it), tomatoes, biscuits dipped in tea (don't judge) and etc.

Mixed breed = mutt, mongrel. Basically that the parents were different breeds, and likely themselves mixed breed birds. In chickens they're often called Barnyard Mix
smile.png

Were you planning to buy more chicken feed?

Birds are omnivores and can survive on a mixed diet but he does need more protein. Everything you mentioned is pure carbs, I'm thinking that's why he's smallish. Omnivores eat both meat and plants, so you need to get him some type of meat if you're not going to feed chicken feed.

So, I have a 3 month year old chicken. She's a little under-grown for some reason (although we feed her frequently). I really want to know its breed and gender. It sometimes bites but is friendly and loves to sit on people. Here are some pictures of her: When it was a baby!: Recent pictures of her: Please help :3
Did you say that it's 3 months old? Than that's a cockerel, sorry. He is looking very beautiful! But he definitely needs some chick starter to stay healthy. Chickens aren't meant to live on human food. Only about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of their daily food intake should be treats or human food. He needs the nutrients and protein in the chick started to keep his feathers and skin oily so his feathers don't dry out and break. He should also have food available to him all the time so he can eat as he needs too. Chickens can get their growth stunted very easily by not having enough food to eat. Chickens eat many more times a day than we do. I agree that it is probably a mixed breed also but if I were you I wouldn't be sad that it wasn't a purebred some of my favorite hens are mixed breeds. To me it looks like it may have some leghorn in there. I think he is very handsome.
1f609.png

That is a cockerel of some sort, mix most likely. It is small due to improper feeding. It needs to be on chick start/grower till a min of 21 weeks however since it has been off for awhile keeping it on the high protein fed till 25 weeks may need to happen. It is very important that chicks be fed the correct protein food to ensure proper health and growth rate.

Back
Top Bottom