Help! What can I feed these chicks?

CountryHeart06

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
So I was planning on getting chick crumbles today but my car decided to die while my husband is out of town on business. I tried to get to Southern States but they closed before I made it there. And now I am totally out of feed. Is there anything I can give them if I can't get a ride to the feed store tomorrow?

dry oatmeal should not hurt them or maybe some fine chopped apples, chopped green beans or even hard boiled eggs chopped up. Mine get crumbles but have also had those things with no ill effects at 2 weeks old.

Also perhaps corn meal, fine bread crumbs, or finely crushed breakfast cereal (like corn flakes or cheerios not fruit loops lol)

Last edited:
Mine love scrambled egg. I also give them cooked rice with raw egg stirred through.
Yes, they love cooked rice...but it has calories but little nutrition value so adding the raw egg would make it more nutritional.

Also if you feed them these things make sure to get them some chick grit as soon as you can too.

dry oatmeal should not hurt them or maybe some fine chopped apples, chopped green beans or even hard boiled eggs chopped up. Mine get crumbles but have also had those things with no ill effects at 2 weeks old.

Also perhaps corn meal, fine bread crumbs, or finely crushed breakfast cereal (like corn flakes or cheerios not fruit loops lol)

Raw apple is not advisable . Chicks choke on chunks, a soft pear or banana would be better. As we are only talking about the short term, keep it simple and soft.
Chicks are prone to gorge themselves. My first choice would be soft scrambled egg.

I found that I had corn meal so they have some of that right now. Haven't seen anyone eat any yet but it's there. I should be able to get to the store tomorrow evening so it's very temporary but good to know I have some options. I'm curious about the tortilla. I do have some small corn tortillas, do I just throw it in as is or do I need to do something to it?

Back
Top Bottom