Help!! What Chicken Breed???!

Snowboy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 20, 2011
My local hatchery is not to big and only has a few types of Chicken Breeds but I have no idea which one to get. I plan on getting 4 chickens and I need them to supply my family of 4 with Chicken Eggs.

Here are the Breeds-New Hampshire Red, California Grey Leghorn, Isa Brown, Rhode Island Red, Light Brahmas, Barred Rock, Gold laced Wyandotte, Jumbor Cornish Rock Cross, Buff Orpingtons, Araucanas, Black Australorps, Silver laced Wyandotte, Black Sex Link and Black Jersey Giant.

I am not looking to eat the birds and I also want a very friendly breed

Help!! Which one is the best for me?
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Barred Rock, Gold laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced also, Orpingtons of any kind Rhode Island Red, Any sex links are very nice. The trick is right from chicks to spoil them rotten and pet and handle each one of them every day,

Best of luck we need to see them when you get them LOL!!!

A lot depends on how much you want to be able to handle the birds. My Black Austrolorp are very nice layers year round. I get about 5-6 a week from each hen. I have never had one go broody on me. They let me handle them grudgingly lol. They have a nice sheen to the feathers in the sun from green to blueish. They are a large bird for sure. I get nice large brown eggs from them.
I have a gold laced wyandotte as well she is shy and would rather I NOT touch her. I got her as a half grown pullet that had been picked on quite a bit. I think that has a lot to do with her attitude toward humans. She lays well but not as well as the BA's. Nice large brown eggies from her.
I have one BO and she is about the same as my GLW I got her at the same time and same place. Poor girls, needed out of there.
They are all quiet and pretty birds.
I had gone looking for the SLW and could not let the little GLW stay there and be pecked.

I am not a fan of the Rhode Island Reds since every one of them I have had ended up being a big bully.

So.... IMO if I wanted nice birds that produced well I would go with BA's or BO's or GLW even the SLW or any combo of those should get along and make a nice egg basket.

welcome-byc.gif

Not as creative as Steve's is lol. Welcome anyhow!

Last edited:
If you want eggs, go with the leghorns or the isa browns. They are both egg laying machines. Leghorns have a rep for being flighty, though, so you might want to go with the cali leghorns. If you can only keep four hens, plan to rotate them out every 1-2 years to keep a consistent supply of eggs going.

Back
Top Bottom