Help... What do I do...day 21

wewcz5

Chirping
6 Years
May 20, 2013
Shasta county, Ca
I am pretty sure my husband and I heard peeping on the night of day 19. We could have been hearing things but he was so sure it was peeping that he got me out of bed. I did hear something but I'm second guessing if it was peeping or not. No piping has taken place. Another egg started peeping for sure in the evening of day 20 but nothing is happening. We had two very active egg on day 20, they were rocking a bit but no piping. One was more active early day(rocking) and then slowed down and the other was more active in the evening(rocking and peeping). I am wondering if the one that was moving early day was the one that was peeping on day 19, if so then its been more than 24 hrs.....Do I chance it and candle them? Do I score a hole in the air cell? I have read Sally Sunshine's when to intervine and am still not sure. Today is early morning day 21.... This is my first hatch.

After 24 hours I'd candle and score breathing hole in the air cell end for them. Good luck!

I need help... The baby is shrink wrapped and it hasn't piped through the inner membrane. I out it back in the incubator. The membrane was white. I saw it moving. What do I do now

I stuck it in a wet paper towel and put it back into the incubator. Should I have taken the whole top half of the shell off? I am worried it will cut itself on the shell. The hole is about the size of a dime. I saw it moving and it's not shrink wrapped any more. I put another wet paper towel on it and I could see where it had piped through the inner membrane but the beak was not out. I could just see a tear. The membrane is still white but the paper towel is pretty wet. I added another bowl of water to the incubator. It's a still air little giant. I don't have a humidity checker in there but both water reservoirs have water in it and there are 2 smal bowls of water in there. I did not cover any of the opened part of the shell with the paper towel. I just wrapped it and left that part open, is that okay? Also, that was so traumatic I didn't open a breathing hole for the other egg. I did have it out of the incubator though. I didn't even candle it. I had it out and realized I needed to give the other egg more attention and just put it back. God willing, everything will be fine. The membrane is still white.

That sounds o.k. the membrane will be white unless you dampen it, when it will become more translucent, allowing you to see the vessels in it. As long as you see those active vessels the chick needs more time. Once all the vessels have retracted it's getting to ready to complete the hatch. Candle the other egg and make a small hole in the air cell, you really just need a pea size hole :). Just enough to get some fresh air in there.

I don't see the veins any more. I'm scared to even look at the thing. I don't see movement any more, it could be sleeping...hopefully. I think the veins I saw was the membrane overlapping itself. When my hubby wakes up I will put in a breathing hole in the other egg. I didn't realize how stressful this would be! I think I will just buy the chicks next time.

You said you read the assisted hatch article? Compare what you are seeing to the pics in the article, showing the membrane and what it should look like. If you dampen the membrane with a wet Q-tip you should be able to tell, also check for signs of life from the chick.

Back
Top Bottom