help what do I do???

southernhen

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Ellaville, Georgia
I just fed my chickens oyster shells this morning with their feed for the first time. When I went to feed up tonight, my favorite little silkie roo was standing by himself and would not eat when I came to fed. He was wet from the rain that we are currently getting from Fay. then I noticed his crow had hard rocks in it as I am assuming it is the oyster shells I fed this morning.. I brought him in the house and put him in a pet taxi with a light on him to warm him up..... What do I do now????

Last edited by a moderator:
* No dinner tonight at all for him, just water. Check him 2O mins or so before you go to bed. If he is still over stuffed, dribble a little olive oil into the side of his beak with an eyedropper, MAKE SURE you let him swallow by himself. Gently massage the crop once the oil is taken. Go to bed, leaving him just water. Post in the a.m. if he is still overstuffed. Oh, and no more oyster shell for Mr. Piggie. Roos don't need the calcium anyway.

thank you so very much!! omg, I didn't know the little ones would eat it like that! I was trying to feed everyone before "Fay" got here full force . Since I got my FIRST egg two days ago from a buff orp, silly me thought they needed some oyster shell mix it in with the feed, yes---the newbie...... now ----different bowl all together especially since all of them are in one large pen right now!!!!! I will let you know how he does in the morning.

It is 845 am and I just checked him. His crawl has gone down to about a 25 cent piece and I don't feel anything in it except the shells. he won't drink and hasn't drank since I brought him inside. I gave him some oil last night before bed like you told me to do. He looks some stronger and talks some, but definitely not himself!!!!

Back
Top Bottom